FINISHED PICS--1/72 Matchbox Jagdpanther kitb
thedoog
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 260 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 01:00 PM UTC
Hi guys,
Here's the finished pics of the 1/72 kitbash that I did between the 1/76 Matchbox Jagdpanther, and the Revell, and two DML JP kits. There's also some PE from ExtraTech, and Preisser figures, as well as some Hudson and Allen rubble.

See the post in "Braille Scale" called "Matchbox/Revell Jagdpanther nostalgia build" for the build particulars. Here's the pics!

Questions, comments, and critiques always warmly welcomed and appreciated!! Thanks to all who have commented on the build log!
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 01:13 PM UTC
its always fun to go back to old kits, karl you've done a great job on this, i cant notice anything you can improve on. your other builds were fantastic as well.
Jupiterblitz
KitMaker: 885 posts
Armorama: 796 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 01:27 PM UTC
Hello Karl,

a very successful perfomance of such a small model.

Very lifeful Jagdpanther, especially supported by the figures.

Your paint job is also nice with the difficult to apply camo scheme in this scale as well as the cleanly painted road wheels.

The only thing (which is a marginal one) I would have done were to drill out the exhaust pipes.

The many Balkenkreuze are a fairly uncommon sight.

One thing I never can acquire a taste for are these rusted spare tracks...I know this a matter of taste...

TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 946 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 01:49 PM UTC
Very nice build. Drilling out the exhausts is about the only thing i can think of to make a great job better. I really like the weathering as well.

Tom
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 18, 2009 - 03:09 PM UTC
Magnificent work Doog, love it!

The figs really create an air of urgency

Mike
thedoog
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 12:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Karl,

a very successful perfomance of such a small model.

Very lifeful Jagdpanther, especially supported by the figures.

Your paint job is also nice with the difficult to apply camo scheme in this scale as well as the cleanly painted road wheels.

The only thing (which is a marginal one) I would have done were to drill out the exhaust pipes.

The many Balkenkreuze are a fairly uncommon sight.

One thing I never can acquire a taste for are these rusted spare tracks...I know this a matter of taste...

Thanks, Marco!
I have drilled out the exhaust as per your observation. Ya knw, originally, I had seen an illustration in Achtung Panzer which shows grillles on the ends of those pipes--not the ones that are on the straight parts, but actuallyon the curved parts. That's what I was thinking about when I left them un-drilled, but several people seem to agree that it would be better to drill them out.

The spare tracks would rust--I have a Pz IV track here that I own, and it is a constant struggle to keep it rust-free! Even modern tracks--like this Leopard track--will rust, exposed to the elements.

The many Balkenkreuz's were emblematic of the 654th Schwere PzJg Abt. after it reorganized,a nd moved the tool stowage off to the rear. I have a photo in the big Schiffer reference book that plainly shows a vehicle with the above markings. The cross on the front was also a marking that was adopted after refitting and reorganization.

Thank you too, Mike, Calvin, and Tom!! I appreciate you taking the time to leave comments!!
wing_nut
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
Armorama: 674 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 12:15 PM UTC
I know people say that things can pass fr 1/35... but this one really could. Really nicely done.
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 12:34 PM UTC
thats just _____ing unbeleivable.
Jupiterblitz
KitMaker: 885 posts
Armorama: 796 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 12:35 PM UTC
Hallo Karl,

I know many people like these rusted tracks...they love them.

And I would not deny the existence of rust on tanks too (e.g. the M1 and in particular the MC version).

Finally this rust on the spare tracks of the Leo is a real achievement of the platoon leader...a simple wire scratch brush would help.

Wondering why he has not been kicked in his ass for this untidiness.

Have not ever seen such scruffy tracks in our bataillon...
thedoog
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 12:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hallo Karl,

I know many people like these rusted tracks...they love them.

And I would not deny the existence of rust on tanks too (e.g. the M1 and in particular the MC version).

Finally this rust on the spare tracks of the Leo is a real achievement of the platoon leader...a simple wire scratch brush would help.

Wondering why he has not been kicked off in his ass for this untidiness.

Have not ever seen such scruffy tracks in our bataillon...

Marco,
LOL! I just saw that you are from Germany! Very cool!
These tracks are admittedly not from an in-filed Leopard! They were parked at the motor pool of the Leopard 2A6 sheds in Wolfhagen in 2008 when I went to visit there. Here are some more photos--

Here is where the Leopard 2A4's were parked:

The A6's were being used to train Canadians there, who were soon to deploy to Afghanistan;]

These were in perfect condition!

I was invited to take photos, and even got a tour of the tank!

I know how fastidious and clean your countrymen are about everything, and these tanks were in perfect shape,with no rust! Only the panzers which were being reconditioned were out in the lot, and in the elements. HOwever, now I can undrstand why you feel that way about the tracks!

Thank you for your comments too, Marc, and Jon!!!
mopnglo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 452 posts
Armorama: 271 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 01:02 PM UTC
I agree with Marc. If you hadn't have told me that was 1/72, I would have thought 1/35. Nice job!
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 07:26 PM UTC
Karl,

"Is this a Matchbox/Revell build or is this a Matchbox/Revell build?" Karl this is way to cool!

Read through the build log and enjoyed every bit of it. Great job on the camo and dio. The figures really help lend that "in action" look to your dio. Super kit bashing. I'm not well informed on any of the Panther family of vehicles but it sure looks the part to me.

Thanks for sharing your builds with everyone here Karl. Nice step by step build log and photos. And try not to eat to much chocolate while working on your kits! Hehe . . .

-Eddy
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 - 10:42 PM UTC
A super finish to the project ! I have to admit that the base has come up far better than I thought it was going to - beaucoup praise for that too

Brent

thedoog
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 - 12:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Karl,

"Is this a Matchbox/Revell build or is this a Matchbox/Revell build?" Karl this is way to cool!

Read through the build log and enjoyed every bit of it. Great job on the camo and dio. The figures really help lend that "in action" look to your dio. Super kit bashing. I'm not well informed on any of the Panther family of vehicles but it sure looks the part to me.

Thanks for sharing your builds with everyone here Karl. Nice step by step build log and photos. And try not to eat to much chocolate while working on your kits! Hehe . . .

-Eddy

Eddie, this is a Matchbox diorama base ONLY, with a Revell/DML Jagdpanther kitbash. The old 1/76 kit is just so soft on detail that I couldn't see using it. But I have always loved the look of this kit, and it has a special place in my heart--it was one of my first tank kits when I was just starting to model, so I've wanted to redo it in a meaningful way. If you want to see the actual build, here's the thread:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/137634&page=1

Thanks for your comments and compliments! (I had to crack open a Lindt bar to celebrate, just like James Caan in "Misery", lol!)

Thank you too, Brent and Michael!!!
 _GOTOTOP