Hosted by Darren Baker
Future as Water
gbarksdale
Visit this Community
District of Columbia, United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 05:39 AM UTC
I read on Swannysmodels.com that Future can be used for standing water effects. Has anyone tried this? If so, do you need to take the same precautions as with resin, i.e., sealing, etc.?

Thanks
dbudd
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 229 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 05:55 AM UTC
I would think you could only use it for basically a wet spot on the ground, not something like a puddle or anything with depth, because once it dries any volume will disappear because the water has evaporated out. If it is used over any uneven surface you might just end up with a shiny spot on the ground. That's why resins are used because they dry via a chemical reaction so they keep their volume.

CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
Armorama: 892 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 06:31 AM UTC
I don't know that you could use Future for a large expanse of water but it certainly can be used to create puddles and ponds.
This is 3 coats of Future over a painted base:

The ice is paraffin. The ripples are created with Liquitex 'resin sand', a clear gel like product with grains of sand for trxture
Cheers,
Charles
gbarksdale
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 06:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't know that you could use Future for a large expanse of water but it certainly can be used to create puddles and ponds.
This is 3 coats of Future over a painted base:

The ice is paraffin. The ripples are created with Liquitex 'resin sand', a clear gel like product with grains of sand for trxture
Cheers,
Charles

Thanks Charles. Did you mix any paint with the Future or simply Future over a painted base? I'm thinking of using it for a stream in a jungle diorama I'm doing.

Thanks again.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 06:53 AM UTC
As was mentioned, if you need any depth at all, Future is NOT the product to use. You;'ll get a nice glossy surface, but thatr's it. Unless you apply paint to the base, it will not look realistice, since water cause the surface it's on to appear darker. Nor can you get any water effects like ripples with it since it is self leveling. Remember, it's a floor polish and designed to avoid a build-up.

Notice how little depth Charles got in his scene, Everything diasppears completely at the surface of the water. It looks good, but there's no sence of depth. What you're trying to do needs a certain amount of clarity to look right.

CReading
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 07:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Charles. Did you mix any paint with the Future or simply Future over a painted base? I'm thinking of using it for a stream in a jungle diorama I'm doing.

I just painted the base, built up the 'ripples' and over-coated the whole area with 4 coats of straight Future.
Like others have said, if you are looking for depth this probably won't work and you'll need resin, but if the surface of your stream is fairly level, this might work for you. Play around with it on a scrap piece.
Cheers,
Charles
gbarksdale
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 07:13 AM UTC
Thanks Charles.

Yeah, there won't be much depth to the stream. But I will practice with that and maybe silicone caulk (which I've also heard can be used). I bought some Envirotex resin, but frankly I'm a bit nervous about using it because I've read things can go wrong with it pretty easily.
CReading
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 07:43 AM UTC
The reason I used the Liquitex product for ripples and waves is that it is acrylic based and compatible with the Acrylic based Future. I felt there would be a problem if I had used any silicon based product since nothing sticks to it. Future would have beaded up rather than flowed over it.
Cheers,
C.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 09:05 AM UTC
Here's a tutorial/SBS I did making a stream with resin over enamels and acrylics on a resin and Celluclay base. I've used this several times with no problems.
Bratushka
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 657 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 09:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Charles.

Yeah, there won't be much depth to the stream. But I will practice with that and maybe silicone caulk (which I've also heard can be used). I bought some Envirotex resin, but frankly I'm a bit nervous about using it because I've read things can go wrong with it pretty easily.

On YouTube there's a guy called the Kamloopian who has a bunch of diorama related videos. Among these he has some on water effects and shows results from almost all the different water effect products plus his own techniques. He's a little spacey, but man he can build like nobody's business! Well worth checking him out!
jakes357
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 132 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 05:33 PM UTC
Recently picked some stuff called "Magic Water" at (horrors) a model train show. If this stuff works half as good as his display items,I'll be more than satisfied.
I asked about shelf life and the answer was "indefinate". It is a two part epoxylike material that appears easy to use. Mix 1 part from bottle A with 2 parts from bottle B, supposed to dry in 24 hrs.
His website is www.unrealdetails.com PS I have no connection with this product other than buying a kit. Just passing along some 411. Hope this helps someone.
jake
05Sultan
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 11:53 PM UTC
I've used Future over cast poly resin to good results. Tinted with acylics to get clouding murk and then tinted overlayer with food coloring to 'sink' the murk under the surface.
gbarksdale
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 08:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've used Future over cast poly resin to good results. Tinted with acylics to get clouding murk and then tinted overlayer with food coloring to 'sink' the murk under the surface.

Excellent. Thanks Rick. That is exactly what I'm thinking of doing -- minus the hippos.
Wisham
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 05:35 PM UTC
Looks neat, any other pics on the "Hippo Dio"?
 _GOTOTOP