_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Universal Carrier Winter Camouflage
Fagester
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 01:45 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

I am currently building a British Universal Carrier and I want to give it a winter camo scheme as if it was during late 1944/early 1945. I'm struggling to find any pictures or references.

Does anyone know of any?

Thanks for your help
Fages
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 02:55 AM UTC
There are a couple here, however, they are in Russian use:

http://www.o5m6.de/universal_mkI.html

Otherwise a good source is the Imperial War Museum photo archive:

http://www.iwmcollections.org.uk/qryImages.php

I had a quick look and found at least one pic in whitewash.

I beleive the british approach to whitewash was often to make it up in the field from lime or the like and so often it was thin and patchy, the idea being it was easy to remove once the snow thawed. Also British vehicles often only applied whitewash to vertical surfaces and not the tops of AFV's as Allied air superiority meant that there was little risk from above.

HTH,

James
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 03:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I beleive the british approach to whitewash was often to make it up in the field from lime or the like and so often it was thin and patchy, the idea being it was easy to remove once the snow thawed. Also British vehicles often only applied whitewash to vertical surfaces and not the tops of AFV's as Allied air superiority meant that there was little risk from above.

That's a hell of a useful point you've raised actually. There was little need for the kind of concealment (from aviation) as the Germans, by that stage of the war had little ground-attack capability and (mainly) a handful of recce aircraft. ALL contemporary photos of British white-washed vehicles show it as extermporized using rough washes of whitewash..
Fagester
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 04:03 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply James and the very useful links. I've been unable to find anything other than the rough whitewash type camo you mention so this is probebly what I will use.

Cheers
 _GOTOTOP