_GOTOBOTTOM
MAFVA Forum
The official forum for the Miniature AFV Association.
Hosted by Tom Cromwell
Churchill AVRE and Crocodiles
sapper8863
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2009 - 10:04 AM UTC
Hello All

I am currently trying to find any references to the use of the Bullshorn Ploughs on D-Day mounted on Churchills, either a AVRE or a Standard MKIV. Can anyone help.

I am also trying to confirm if any Churchill MKIV Crocodiles where ever used in Action. Before you all shoot me down, I saw a photo of a pre D-Day landing craft in the Churchill Book Vol 1, of a loaded LCT, the bottom tank is a MKIV gun tank with a Crocodile trailer attached. Sorry I dont have the book to give the title and page number. Also did any Crocodile land in the assualt wave on D-Day.

I have tried a quick search on Missing Lynxs and after a couple of hours of reading all the posts on Churchill my mind is numb.

Cheers

Ian Hanratty.
MAFVA
CRosenwould
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 07:54 PM UTC
Ian,

In his articles on The Funnies in the early days of Military Modelling magazine, Geoffrey Futter wrote a few pages about the Bullshorn plough - text, plans (in 1/76) and some trials photos (no in-action ones, sorry).

He writes that it,
Quoted Text

...only saw service in small numbers with the division and was only used on the Normandy beaches.

David Fletcher also makes a passing reference to their use on D-Day in his book The Universal tank .

I hope this little bit of info is of use.

Colin.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 10:27 PM UTC
Hi Ian,

I was following the post on ML, off line at the moment. Do you know if any of the Crocs were of the deep wading variety?

Thanks

Al
 _GOTOTOP