_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-72AV – ERA blocks for the hull
zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 09:08 PM UTC
Hi guys

I just became the happy owner of Model Point T-72AV turret. Now I’m trying to figure out what else I need to complete the build. A sure bet would be to get the MP set of ERA blocks for the AV hull or to collect a bunch of their loose ERA block sets (I think that I’m looking for Kontakt 3 type A and B blocks).
However, looking at some pictures of T-72AV’s from Georgia raised the question if it would be alright to use the Miniarm T-72B front set? Some of them look like the use the newer type of front fenders. Any thoughts or suggestions? Perhaps other options?

Georgian T-72AV with new type front fenders(?):
Reiter960
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 - 09:23 PM UTC
That is not original T-72AV, but T-72SIM1 built from later style hull and T-72M1 turret. You can go ahead and use Miniarm front hull with ERA included, though I don't recommend mixing them with Modelpoint's Kontakt-1/3 bricks. Miniarm offering is clearly superior in terms of geometry and detail.
Good luck
zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 07:43 AM UTC
Thanks George

I see your point regarding mixing the different sets.

If I should drop the Georgian version and just build an AV, what options do I have. Where have it served? I can't find any AV's while looking through pictures from Chechnya. Am I limited to make a vehicle in Russia?

Cheers,
/E
Reiter960
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 07, 2009 - 03:16 PM UTC
There must have been T-72AVs in Ukraine and Belarus at a time USSR was dissolved, but I don't know if these nations kept them active. T-72AV is kind of rare, I tend to think of it as sort of mere upgrade in shadow of T-72B.
zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
Posted: Friday, May 08, 2009 - 04:36 AM UTC
Ok, thanks. Just one more:
Are these T-72AVs? It's the tanks that where enroute to Kenya from Ukraine when the ship got captured by pirates and held for a couple of months:

A couple more pictures and a short video here:
http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=27948&p=3&topicID=21084397

/E
Reiter960
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2009 - 03:31 PM UTC
Yes, those are T-72AV. They look like they were refurbished prior sale.
zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 - 08:54 AM UTC
Again, thanks!
I will now defenetly go for the option of building a Kenyan AV. Hopefully some photos of them in Kenyan service will surface as the project move along.
There seem to be some strong daubts regarding Kenya relly was meant to be the end user of these tanks from the begining. There seem to be information suggesting that Kenya was merely the middle hand for the tanks on its way to South Sudan (wich are not aloud to buy arms untill 2011 according to the peaceagrement with Nort Sudan - an agrement that Kenya helped to negotiate). As the shippment became headline news world wide Kenya have claimed that the tanks are theirs. Now the question remains how they are going to be implemented in the Kenyan army.

/E

_GOTOTOP