_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M4 composite review/build
mmcalc
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2009 - 11:55 AM UTC
Right now she looks like a real vehicle. The quality of you modeling and the paint finish are great. If your camera angle was a little lower the pictures could be passed off as walk around photos of a real tank on static display. So to make her look like a tank in action a very subtle dusting with the entry and hand hold points rubbed glossy would make her looked "lived in". I don't think you need much. Great work. The high bustle turret looks good. The light guards are especially good. Too bad about the decals, sounds like they let you down.

Mike Canaday
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Armorama: 712 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2009 - 04:39 PM UTC
Looks great Russ.

I have quite a few Dragon M4s in the stash but not this one as yet. How about some ideas on how you applied the nice muddy effect? I am using MIG Pigments on matt surfaces now and think they are great. But I am always open to new ideas.

Warren
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2009 - 04:54 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments. I just used a wash of burnt umber and yellow ochre oil in odorless thinner. I put a dab of each color in the thinner and mixed, but didn't dissolve them completely so that as I applied the wash I would get a little variety of each color. Where it went on too heavy I dabbed it off with a cotton pad.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 03:27 PM UTC
I added the cable and did another wash of yellow ochre and burnt umber. I dusted with pastels. I have collected some jerry cans and a few tarps. A friend gave me a resin Sherman set with the turret box and ammo crates. I could add a couple of the crates as well. Haven't decided yet. I took a few more photos outside to test the weathering I've done. Sun was low in the sky so the angle of the light fades most of it out. Here they are. Let me know if I've done it right. Also, how do I weather the cable?

I'll be seeking help for the second antenna mount. I can't find photos of it anywhere on line. Thanks for looking.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 11:21 PM UTC
Great job Russ looking real good.

Can't wait to see it finished.

Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 01:37 AM UTC
looks great Russ. I really like your tracks- they look perfect.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2009 - 01:18 PM UTC
I have no idea if I did this right, but I fabricated an antenna mount for the second antenna. I placed both antennas in their respective mounts. I tried to make the first antenna look like it was segmented. I placed the idler tension adjuster on the rear hull and made a small chain for the pin ring.

I cannibalized another kit for simple stowage items. I won't do much. This is what I have assembled. I am trying to find a good set of rations boxes. I bought the Tamiya paper rations but I can only use the tomato juice as the other boxes are too small and represent an item that never existed.

I really wish there was a set of plastic figures for US Army in the PTO. I have the Dragon Tarawa and Iwo sets but I was saving those for my M4A2. Let me know if I was close on the antenna mount. Thanks for looking.
 _GOTOTOP