_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Revell M998 Humvee Cargo
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 12:05 PM UTC
I am considering buying the Revell/Germany kit. Any comments/warnings?
Thanks
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2002 - 07:29 PM UTC
Look for the Academy M998 Cargo/Troop truck. A much better kit (#1362) and can be built with or without cargo cover for rear troop compartment. It also has vinyl tires and a mesh screen for the engine and transmission oil cooler grills.

The Revell of Germany one is basically a re-boxed Italeri kit with new parts for the 2-door and cargo compartment. Other points of note to the Italeri/RoG Hummers is that the engine grills represent an armored variant HMMWV and not a soft top HMMWV. The top grill is sometimes replaced on soft top HMMWVs with the armored one, but the front grill isn't. This is because a roll of concertina wire is carried on the hood at times and the rattling of the roll sometimes cause the fiberglass to break. When this happens, they usually install the metal armored grill on top because it will last longer.

The M998 is not as good a deal as the M1038. The M1038 (#03027) comes with the cargo cover, the other (#03013) just comes with troop seats. The Academy kit also includes the safety strap that goes between the seat backs over the tailgate as well as a radio set that is ever-present in HMMWVs. These items are missing on the RoG kits.

But as I've said with Italeri Hummers, they are well-engineered, fit good and look good. They are just not the best Hummers out there. The M1038 is the better deal if they are priced the same (extra parts). I picked up both RoG Hummers for $6.95 each, and the Academy one cost me $12 something back in 1996 and I just traded a 1/48 Fw190 and Me109 for the M998 and an Italeri M8 armored car. Just to give you an idea about how much to pay.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2002 - 07:20 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice. Today I recieved AFV clubs Hummer from Mission Models. Jon is trying to locate the Academy M998 Cargo/Troop for me, and I'm watching ebay for a deal on the Academy kits.
 _GOTOTOP