_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: R/C Armor
Discuss all Remote Control Armor related topics here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
IFF panels - Dimensions please
typhoon
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2003 - 01:01 AM UTC
Guys-
What are the real life dimensions of the IFF panels on the M1A1's in Iraq?
Thanks

Bob
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2003 - 01:13 AM UTC
CIP panel information: http://call.leavenworth.army.mil/products/user-gui/95-3/chapter2.htm
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 08:53 AM UTC
Howdy,

O.K......not trying to beat a dead horse here, but, here in this short thread, and on another two threads, there has been some talk of IFF/CIP panels on OIF vehicles. I suppose the 'official' answer to the dimension question is 24"w X 30" T......correct?
Now (and here is where you all start getting mad at me), I just picked up the new Tamiya OIF version of the trusty M113 with CIP and stowage. In the box, parts #E-30, #V-3, and #V-4, are the IFF panels. Trouble is, there are 3 different sizes (technically), and each have 6 slats per panel,, not 5 as shown in the DOD tech drawing!
Sooooooo.....................?
Trying to drop a couple of these monkeys on my OIF M1A1 kit I'm building for an upcoming show, so I just want to 'do it right'.
Input?

Tread.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 11:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Trouble is, there are 3 different sizes (technically), and each have 6 slats per panel,, not 5 as shown in the DOD tech drawing!

Tread, I don't recall seeing 5 slats panels in OIF... I have some M113 pics with CIPs and they used 6 slats panels as did other US vehicles. I don't think you can go wrong with using CIPs Tamiya provided in the kit.

EDIT: I found this site you might find usefull... there is some info on interchangable CIPs on vehicles on the bottom of the page. It seems to me most CIPs were 6 slats indeed, as all of my references show that almost exclusively...
http://www.monmouth.army.mil/peoiew/pmcid/cipmf/cipsec3.htm

Mario M.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 02:07 PM UTC
Howdy Maki,

Thx for the reply. I also feel the Tamiya CIP's will work just fine. I will be using them (and probably 'cloning' them as well).
I do want to point you to Rob's (above) provided link regarding the 'official' size and configuration of the IFF panel itself. At that link you'll find a diagram that clearly (I hope I'm not misunderstanding the drawing) shows 5 slats on the panel.
Take a look and let me know.

Tread.

For what it's worth I screwed up too, in my original post I typed it out as 24"w X 30" t, when in fact the reverse is true, it's 30" w X 24"t.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 03:44 PM UTC
Are all the IFF panels the same or are there different sizes used for tanks, apc's , other vehicles diffeent
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 05:23 PM UTC
That's funny. I got the dimensions from Rob's link a while back and along with some good closeups on ML I replicated a panel but didn't even notice that the one in the drawing had 5 panels.

I'm not sure what the Humvees have but I've seen CVR(t) vehicles with panels with the same width but are only 4 slats high. The Warrior appears to use the same size panel as the M1.

Paul
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 12:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I do want to point you to Rob's (above) provided link regarding the 'official' size and configuration of the IFF panel itself. At that link you'll find a diagram that clearly (I hope I'm not misunderstanding the drawing) shows 5 slats on the panel.

I think you should take a look at the photos of the vehicles in the OIF campaign and... you can't go wrong if you try to replicate that... The references you find on the real vehicles are IMO more important than what a manual says.

AA makes a great IFF set... They come in various sizes and various slat number.

I have checked my references and found out every version of the AA panel can be seen on vehicles during OIF/operation Telic. I think that's what really counts. If you need info on CIPs on a particular vehicle let me know... I know I can find a pic in my reference stash that could help with the size and placement of IFFs.

Oh yes, if you have patience you can make a jig for the CIPs yourself. Paul (ptruhe) made something like that, so he can give you some pointers there.

Mario M.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 12:49 AM UTC
Below is the link to Paul's excellent IFF panels

HTH,

Shaun

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/12859&page=1
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 02:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Below is the link to Paul's excellent IFF panels

Paul sent me couple of his IFFs and they are very nice indeed... I know he used to take orders from you guys but don't really know if that offer still stands. Paul?

Mario M.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 03:02 AM UTC
I did build 2 M1 sets of 3 for a guy on ML. Not that hard to do but I'm picky about the result. Bending is easy. It's cutting the pieces that is hard. It's a little tough shiny brass sheets under a light with a set snips but the magnifier helps. I guess a trade would work out the best unless I get a wild hair and build up an inventory.

The AA panels do look fantastic.

Paul
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 03:35 PM UTC
O.K. Maki, after looking at the AA panels, and adding it all up, I can only come to one conclusion....anything goes! No, just kidding. It seems to me that the 'official' link is simply a 'touchstone' to use, and that building upon that basic parameter the soldiers in the field built, more or less, CIP units that fit the physical size of the vehicle in question.
Makes sense.
I guess as long as it makes a 'cold spot', that's what counts.

Tread.

Oops, before I forget, to Paul: Thx for the jig info. I especially like the ability to bend and damage the panel with your method. :-)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 09:31 AM UTC
Howdy all,

As a follow up question (as though we need more on this!?!). In looking at the Tamiya supplied IFF panels I noticed that one side has the (standard?) sharp edged 'lap' style, while the reverse side has a slightly different (what we call in the industry) 'dutch' lap style...........more variable's??

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 09:34 AM UTC
Or is that just simply the 'back' of the piece? Seems like the could have made it reversible. Heck, I don't know, never seen one in the flesh.

Tread.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 02:53 AM UTC
Treadhead,

Here's one of the best shots of an IFF panel I've seen. It was the inspiration for the ones I made.

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=47209&messageid=1049407121

I shows the two separate pieces. Also the siding material, which is mounted opposite of how it's usually seen, has a top horizontal piece which one could assume is left over from cutting the section above it on the stock. The top piece is optional from what I've seen.

Paul
 _GOTOTOP