Hosted by Darren Baker
mountains & waterfalls
Rhemz
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2003 - 07:46 AM UTC
Hello guys, I'm creating a mountain with a waterfall and over the waterfall a bridge with a tank crossing it. Now my question is about creating the mountain... can i just use rocks or is the best way creating it with plaster? Are there any dio's with a waterfall? I have "water effects" from "woodland" but I don't know really how to make a waterfall... does someone know it? or got a article about it? thanx guys for helping me!
Aniol
Visit this Community
Poznaz, Poland
KitMaker: 205 posts
Armorama: 166 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2003 - 08:27 AM UTC
I have seen some nice rocks in pet shops. They are often used in aquariums, and they look nice. Good luck!==)
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2003 - 08:42 AM UTC
This book has a step-by-step waterfall vignette. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to build convincing terrain.

Patrick
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 427 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 12:03 AM UTC
You'ld be surprised what you can learn from other fields. I have read Model Railroading terrain books with great ideas, even doll-house books. The new Woodlands Scenics water products work as described, but stay away from the melt and pour pellets.
Scenerary and terrain are my favorite part of a diorama and I really am learning a lot about it. The railroad sources taught me to find a rock I like, make a rubber mold, then a plaster cast and I have a lightweight, perfect replica of a natural looking surface with no carving.
Sealhead
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 12:48 AM UTC
I have that Terrain modeling book and this is the waterfal that is in the book

I have scanned the pages (6) and put them on my providers site:

http://users.pandora.be/ronny.noben/modelbouw/terrein/

You can get them there, but I will not leave them there for long since (they are large files (un cropted) , so save them to your pc.
Rhemz
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 - 02:56 AM UTC
thanx guys!!!
Norseman
Visit this Community
Oslo, Norway
KitMaker: 270 posts
Armorama: 177 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 10:52 PM UTC
If the moutain section is big, you might consider using expansion foam (you know the yellow stuff that expands 100% and then hardens to a kind of foam) to create the inner mountain, and then cover that with plaster or papermache.

That way the diorama will not be so heavy...

Fritz
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 495 posts
Armorama: 140 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 10:54 PM UTC
I've read an article about building mountains in model railroader feb 2002. This is just a summary because it's a really long process.

1) Stackpile foam "bricks" to the desired basic shape.
2) Carve/smooth out the pile to look like a natural mountain. Make sure it looks natural & smooth(I mean the seams between the bricks should not be seen.).
3) Plaster cloth makes the final surface.
4) Paint.
That seems like it.
 _GOTOTOP