Hosted by Darren Baker
ACE or PST??
casualmodeler
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 06:40 AM UTC
Hi braille scale enthusiasts! I´m planning to take part in small scale campaign here in Armorama. I have noticed some interesting models in both ACE and PST but I´m uncertain which manufacturer would be better value for my money. So, I need your advice and opinions...
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 1,289 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 08:11 AM UTC
Hello Kimmo, I cannot take your decision, but what about buying both kits and decide for yourself?
Which kit is it? The T-55 tank?

I also have 2 small kits of both manufacturers (Ace german WW2-artillery and PST modern russian AA-missiles) and I´m happy with the price and quality. Its not comparable with newer Revell or other kits, but unique, inexpensive and easy to build.
For the small-scale-campaign I also have an Idea made an overview-drawing for the Ace-kit, which I would use.

greetings...
Soeren
casualmodeler
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 11:43 AM UTC
Hi Soeren!
PST has some guite rear KV-I and KV-II variants, which you can´t find in 1/35 scale and ACE has some russian and german based trucks and armored cars. I was thinking one of KV variants but I don´t like those rubber band tracks. One of those trucks or armored cars of ACE has been in my plans too. Desicions, desicions......
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 16, 2009 - 02:33 PM UTC
PST kits are pretty good, not quite up to Revell standards with very soft plastic. ACE kits are of limited run quality. Fairly accurate, but thickly and crudely molded in some areas. Newer kits are better than older ones, but the older ones are still out there on the shelves.
E23C
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 238 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 17, 2009 - 06:50 AM UTC
I have a couple of the PST KV kits,the KV-8S Flamethrower tank and the KV-1C gun tank.Both are decent kits and come with Length and link tracks.While the molding of the kits is not up to the standards of say Dragon they are equal in my opinion to some of the earlier Revell 1/72nd releases.

Mark
TankRed1070
Visit this Community
Katowice, Poland
KitMaker: 42 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 05:47 AM UTC
Well, it really depends what you are going to build. ACE has a lot of unique constructions but they are not easy to built. I have some experience with ACE but not much with PST. However, PST seems to be easier to built. If the same model (like e.g. T-55) was issued by both then buying two it is not a bad option.

Cheers!
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 776 posts
Armorama: 477 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 11:30 AM UTC
I have built both T-55's from ACE and PST.

ACE produces versions of vehicles that others dont have, yet, the plastic is soft, alot of flash and it will test your patience, but again, for uniqueness, its the only game in town.

On the PST side, the plastic is crisp, hardly any flash, really easy to build, but, its just a basic kit.

If you want, I have done this and so have others, mix & match both into one. For mine, I used the road wheels, upper hull from PST if I remember correctly. From ACE, I used the lower hull and turret, due to it having more detail than the PST. On the tracks, ACE's is better. But remember, any part you do use from ACE, thier will be cleanup. Once you have them in your hands, you will be able to decide for yourself which parts to use.

In the end, it came out pretty good.
Neo
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 916 posts
Armorama: 758 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 - 12:54 PM UTC
Kimmo,

I have both of the ACE T-55 Recovery Vehicles ( the BTS-2 & BTS-4 ).

The molding is very poor and not just heavy / over scale - parts are blown out or under molded / missing material. Not very impressive.

I got them cheap at the LHS or I would not have them.

Good Luck

to be forewarned - is to have four arms...
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 01:34 AM UTC
I got the ACE T-55 enigma armor and plan on adding it to a PST T-55.
 _GOTOTOP