_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
BTR-80 Zvezda 1/35
drkwing
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 233 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 02:31 AM UTC
Hi everyone,

I've been a reader of the forums for sometime and I thought to participate with a work of mine somehow.

I have been building this BTR-80 kit from Zvezda for about two months.

Progress was real slow because of the somehow low quality of the kit. But that is the only BTR-80 kit around nowadays. I'd say a new molded kit with better details and authenticity would be really good .

Here are some shots from the build process:

Best regards
drkwing
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 02:34 AM UTC
Here are some shots of the assembled and primed kit. I have used Tamiya primer.

drkwing
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 02:46 AM UTC
After priming I have started the painting of my BTR.

I've decided on a single green tone vehicle. My aim in the beginning was to model a Turkish BTR-80, but I was somehow couldn't involve myself with preparing decals for Turkish army. The model will most probably finish as a Russian vehicle.

I have used Tamiya Nato Green and Black green in varying tones. The underbelly and bottom zones were painted in a darker tone; whereas the sides and roof were in lighter shade.

After 2 coats, I've prepped a mixture of Nato green and white and sprayed the mixture mostly on the roof panels (mid section) in what could be described as post-shading.

Also sprayed some Tamiya smoke to the rear of the vehicle around the exhaust outlet.

here is the result:

rolf
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 05:11 PM UTC
Nice job so far Oykun, is this same kit as the Dragon BTR-80? Great job.

Roy
drkwing
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 06:27 PM UTC
Thanks Roy. I don't know about the Dragon kit 'cause I haven't got any. But as far as I know they should be the same molding.

I will update today when I get back home. I have finished fading with oils and sealed it with another coat of clear.

Regards
Oykun
drkwing
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 09:04 PM UTC
There is some progress on the kit lately.

I have applied the oil fading and sealed it again with another coat of Tamiya Clear.

A friend from one of our modelling forums has helped me with decals for the Turkish Army. Thanks to him, now I'm able to finish it as a Turkish vehicle.

On the other hand I weathered the tyres using Mig pigments of light dust and sand. I have applied a dark gray coat before the pigments and a flat coat using Vallejo colors. The gray helped to erase the gloss black color of the tyres which is hard to cover with only the pigments. I like applying gray to the tyres to give a worn look.

Anyway, I will post the photos in a short time.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 01:14 AM UTC
Good work Oykun and great idea to do it as a Turkish vehicle.
drkwing
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 09:17 AM UTC
Thanks.... I think that a Turkish BTR is a good deviation from the usual Russian.

By the way, do you apply a very thinned white with high pressure to the model before the final flat coar to give a dusty look?
flugwuzzi
Visit this Community
Lower Austria, Austria
KitMaker: 633 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 11:53 PM UTC
Very nice job Oykun ... are there any typical turkish Decals out there or will you do it yourself?

Walter
Straniero
Visit this Community
Cosenza, Italy
KitMaker: 130 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 - 01:41 AM UTC
Çok güzel di, Oykun! I would love to see it as a Turkish vehicle as we rarely see any of that.

For road dust you can go to an art supply shop, buy Conté Crayon in earth colours (dark brown, light brown, etc.) and make a powder from those. You can even mix colours by putting different powders in a little tube (like the tubes in which your X-Acto blades come) and shaking them. I regularily use white, black, green and red as well to liven up the dust a little.

Apply with a big brush you won't be using for paint anymore. Try not to streak it to avoid a stripey effect. You can seal with a dull coat (but it looks better if you don't).
drkwing
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 - 02:26 AM UTC
Thanks guys. Tesekkurler Rob!

Walter, the decals are custom, 'cause there are no Turkish decals out there. The good thing is Turkish BTRs only have front and rear id plates on white background. I only applied the black numerals (on decal sheet) on a masked and painted white background.

Rob, thank you for the info. I used MIG pigments for dust and other weathering. I have finished the tyres and gonna work on the lower hull and wheel wells and then voila!

Take some photos and post them asap.
drkwing
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 10:33 AM UTC
Here are the photos as promised...

drkwing
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe