_GOTOBOTTOM
MAFVA Forum
The official forum for the Miniature AFV Association.
Hosted by Tom Cromwell
Northern Ireland 1976 markings query
ChrisLS
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 05:12 AM UTC
Guys

I'm stumped. In my Information Officer role I sometimes get tricky questions. But this one is r-e-a-l-l-y hard for me! See below:

Good morning Chris,I am hoping you can help me or guide me in the right direction.I have been given a couple of vehicles to build for a friend's uncle and they are the Pig and the FV432 by Accurate Armour. What I am looking for is for the Pig I need RCT insignia and Brigade insignia images for service in Londonderry in 1976. Now I believe that the vehicles didn't carry insignia, so I can only assume that its to be put on as the gent served there. For the FV432 I am looking for images of the Royal Artillery Tac sign and the Battery insignia for 19 Gibraltar Battery, 24 Missile Regiment. I tried the guys at my local club in Glasgow but they were unable to help,hope you can,thanks,Gordon Mitchell

Can anyone help me out with information? I'm out of my depth with this one!

Chris Lloyd-Staples
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 10:40 AM UTC
Hi Chris,

I wasn't there that far back but in 1983 the Pigs and Piglets we had carried no insignia of any kind, all they had were number plates.

This was taken in Belfast around 1983. Sorry the pic is such poor quality.

Jimmie
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 230 posts
Armorama: 230 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2009 - 12:52 PM UTC
Hi Chris,

Looking quickly through Uniforms Illustrated No4, The British Army in Northern Ireland by Simon Dunstan, I was not able to glean too much info.

Some Ferrets and other vehicles carried a regimental zap. Some Pigs carried the post war version of the AoS sign on the wing, IIRC it is dark blue over yellow split diagonally with a white bar across the top. Perhaps they were pool vehicles allocated to the resident RCT unit.
The Saracens used by Felix, the Bomb Disposal team had their own badge.

I'll send some thoughts off Forum, but I'm sure we have a few veterans within MAFVA.

HTH
Paul Middleton

Don't forget the MAFVA Nationals 21st June at Duxford
 _GOTOTOP