_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Wespe Models Commer Q2
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 01:49 PM UTC

Couple of questions. Firstly has anyone had hands on experience with this kit and can comment on the quality etc.

Secondly as far as I can tell this was made from about the late 30s so am I right in assuming it is a WWII era vehicle ? And if so does anyone know what sort of thing it would have been used to carry and if it was used in africa or europe? As far as I can tell it was an RAF vehicle so hoping it would have been in use in North Africa.

Looking at it I can't see an easy way to get vehicles on it and the single axle suggests nothing heavy but would anyone know for certain ? ( thinking of a light AFV, possibly a recovered axis vehicle or artillery piece ).

Thanks.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 06:35 PM UTC
That trailer would have been used for crated goods - aero engines etc, which would have been roped/chained down to the bed and loaded and unloaded by crane or onto a raised loading dock.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 07:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And if so does anyone know what sort of thing it would have been used to carry and if it was used in africa or europe? As far as I can tell it was an RAF vehicle so hoping it would have been in use in North Africa.

From Mapleleafup.org forum :

Not sure about the trailer. Might be a Queen Mary

EDIT : it was a Queen Mary trailer...Just found the original caption on the AWM website : "Western Desert, Libya. 11 February 1942. Personnel of Repair and Salvage Units travel long distances to recover damaged Hurricane Mk II aircraft assessed as suitable for repair and load these onto 'Queen Mary' vehicle tenders for return to the unit workshop in the Cairo area with the return journey often taking several days. Off again! RAF vehicle, WD30670, is in the lead of the convoy of five vehicles."

Frenchy
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 - 11:05 PM UTC
Cheers for that. The main thing there is it's confirmed their use in North Africa. Now to have a bit of a think about the best way to set one up. Thinking cap on.
christhesteam
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 - 03:54 AM UTC
yes I have a photo taken in the sudan of a q2 with queen mary trailer with a hurricane on the trailer could send you a copy by email if you would like one.

_GOTOTOP