_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Review of Revell Germany BMP-2 03083?
Straniero
Visit this Community
Cosenza, Italy
KitMaker: 130 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 01:14 AM UTC
Hi all. I'd like to know what I have with the Revell Germany BMP-2 #03083. Is it a DML rebox? Is there a review? Is there info on what type exactly it is?

Thanks,
Rob
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,453 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 01:38 AM UTC
Rob,

Not sure about the BMP-2 specifically, but it probably is a rebox. Someone else might know for sure.

There was this thread earlier in the year about Revell Russian stuff in general that you might find useful.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/132345&page=1

I think that Revell - while they do have a few decent(ish) kits - is one of those brands where you have to tread VERY carefully, because there's always a great risk of ending up with a pig in a poke (lots of old reboxed stuff).

- Steve
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 02:03 AM UTC
Yes, DML rebox, but it may not be a straight rebox. They get the molds via Zvezda who has adjusted molds for other old DML kits before.

That kit has a lot of names: DML=Italeri=Zvezda=Revell
Straniero
Visit this Community
Cosenza, Italy
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 02:15 AM UTC
I have the kit already, so I am not looking to buy it. I just want to build it and I'm curious as to what exactly it is, and if there are major things I could improve on (I am not the kind of builder who would move a grab handle two mm for example). A review would be nice but I couldn't locate one.
From what I can see in the box, it doesn't look bad at all. Not like the GAZ66 truck with the terrible 'mud texture' roof, for example.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 02:33 AM UTC
Here is a review, not much to read. The kit is rather old and was released when online model forums were limited to the old USENET rec.models.scale newsgroup. It was universally panned with the old Esci BMP-1/2 kits being slightly better.

I built one when it first came out and was among the first DML kits I had built. The hatches were designed with over sized hinges in order to operate. The pins were fragile and the hinges sat in square depressions molded onto the hull. They have a bit of play in them and thus end up with gaps. I would suggest filing in the holes before assembly and then glueing the hatches closed.

There are/were an old Eduard set available. I don't know if it was replaced by a newer, more comprehensive set.

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/dml/kit_dml_3508.shtml
Straniero
Visit this Community
Cosenza, Italy
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 03:04 AM UTC
Thanks! Yep, it looks like the one, minus the 'Afghanistan' parts (the square side skirts, the mine plough) and with far better decals. And much less flash. All in all not too bad I think. Closing the hatches was always going to be necessary since the thing is completely void inside.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 05:17 AM UTC
Hi Rob,
to put it simply, this kit has a look of a BMP-2 but you'll have a lot to do if you want an accurate model.
A lot of details on the hull and the turret are wrong, badly located or absent on a real BMP !

I started a BLOG that could help you and save some research work. Here is the link http://armorama.com/forums/136388&page=1

Olivier
Straniero
Visit this Community
Cosenza, Italy
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 - 06:13 AM UTC
...hmmm...

Being that I am in the modelling desert out here there's not much I can do about all that. I'll just build it to hone my long lost skills and go crazy on the paintjob then.

How I hate grossly incorrect stuff - especially since I already have it in the stash. Just knocks the wind out of me.
Thanks for all the extra info though.
 _GOTOTOP