_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
NEWS
DML - NEW Fallschirmjager Figures
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2009 - 10:35 PM UTC
Recently, Dragon Models announced a set of Allied figures suitable for the Monte Cassino campaign. Now. the Axis side - 6514 - Monte Cassino Defenders 1944 (Fallschirmjager). The Full report can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

captnenglish
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,184 posts
Armorama: 770 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 06:58 AM UTC
I see a Fallschirmjager dio in my future
SnakeEye
Visit this Community
Rodopi, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 106 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 10:22 AM UTC
There was another old set with German paras at Cassino.

A combination of these two sets would make a good action diorama.
captnenglish
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,184 posts
Armorama: 770 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 - 03:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There was another old set with German paras at Cassino.

A combination of these two sets would make a good action diorama.

I was thinkng the same thing Actually I'm thinking of combining all (or at least most) of the DML Fallschirmjager set for a kick a$$ dio
bizzychicken
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 967 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 05:28 AM UTC
Nice to see such a dynamic groupof figures. Loads of action, not a pointing figure in sight. The MG 40 figure looks great, hope he's as good looking as the CAD image. Nice one
Dilips
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
KitMaker: 72 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 04:44 PM UTC
It seems to be a very well made set. I like in particular the MP-40 figure's action. and also the choice of helmets. While DML 's other monte cassino set can be combined to this one, I feel that this latest set is "closer to the firing line". It was a good idea to include the gen 2 weapons. I always use extra gen 2 parts to upgrade older figures- I am sure everyone else is doing the same.
Kastanova
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 150 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 01:04 PM UTC
Thats going straight from th LHS to the Stash.
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 283 posts
Armorama: 177 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 05:21 PM UTC
Looks like they've gone along with the superb "around-the-corner-shooter" idea that was introduced in the earlier set! I've never been a big fan of DML figure sets in the past - mainly because the figs are nothing like the boxart that Ron V so well painted and depicted. Lets just say that it was a far cry between artwork and plastic. It was like you buy the figs because of the boxart instead of the contents... Now, with the two recent sets - it will change all that! Much like why I've never bought any of Tamiya's figs... unless they also follow this route. Just give exactly what you've painted! I've always compared DML figs against the kit's artwork - the most recent sets are top notch, given the "shooter" fig and the much in-action poses - a winner in all aspects! Bring them on!
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 05:56 PM UTC
Hmm, a question pops up, did the Fallshirmjaeger were their smocks with the parts around the legs done up (as for jumping) or loose, when in 'ordinairy' combat? Compare the British Para smock, where the flap between the legs would not be fastened between the legs, but would be worn as a 'normal' coat. It is interesting to note that in the older set all the figures wearing the smock have the parts around the legs loose, whilst all the figures in the new set have them done up.

These should make for an impressive diorama with the new Commonwealth Troops set...
Momann
Visit this Community
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
KitMaker: 61 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 08:10 AM UTC
I'd say it's not a really good idea to combine the two sets since there are more than 15 years between them and old Dragon figures are way bigger than new ones and less detailed.
PeterMeess
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 04:42 AM UTC
I think that combining those kids still works out very well. Currently I´m building a huge Fallschirmjäger-Dio "Italy 1944" and I´m using all available Para-Boxes from the Dragon-Range. I mixe parts as desired to achieve the right look.

Here´s one first picture:

Please apologise my English ;-) !
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 05:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think that combining those kids still works out very well. Currently I´m building a huge Fallschirmjäger-Dio "Italy 1944" and I´m using all available Para-Boxes from the Dragon-Range. I mixe parts as desired to achieve the right look.

Here´s one first picture:

Please apologise my English ;-) !

Hi Peter

I hope you don't mind me saying but the figure you've shown the head looks too big for the body in my opinion. Not overly so, but the more I look at it the more I think it's too big. Have you used or tried Hornet replacement heads ?

Alan
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 05:23 AM UTC
Thats a Verlinden head I believe Alan. I tried using Verlinden heads on the DML fallshirmjagers ages ago and gave up because they looked oversized. Verlinden figures in general are more around 1/32 scale and I agree these heads dont really look 'right'.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 05:27 AM UTC
Hi

I did a little work in Photoshop to show you what I mean.

Alan
PeterMeess
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 06:19 AM UTC
Thanks for your replies!!!

Looking at it now, you´re write, the head is far to large.

How about this (again Verlinden!):

Or that one:

Greetz, Peter.
PeterMeess
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 06:28 AM UTC
I ment: "You´re right"!!! ;-)
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 06:46 AM UTC
Hi Peter

If you want to check to see if your figures have the correct head size you may want to take a look at this book. It's old but each page is downloadable and worth printing out the size chart for reference.
Certainly handy if you take up sculpting parts or complete figures.

Alan

http://www.fineart.sk/index.php?s=8&cat=12
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 06:58 AM UTC
Hi

The first picture, the half figure doesn't look too bad, still a little too big in my opinion but the second image looks a little strange in proportion to me anyway very elongated. Could be the picture, camera angle.

Of course we must take into account people come in all different shapes and sizes anyway but usually in proportion to other areas of their bodies. I've put Hornet heads, probably the best aftermarket heads on the market, on some Miniart figures and they look okay but on others they just look to small.

I've a fair collection of Dragon figures and they seem to vary in scale depending on their age of production, subject. Hornet heads generally work well with them.

Verlinden figures are well known for being oversize. I've heard this so much I have resisted buying any figure or body part sets of theirs.

Alan

alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 07:11 AM UTC
Hi

As regards heads I make no secret of my liking for the excellent ones available from Roger Saunders at Hornet.

Here is a link to a pdf with pages showing the range at a glance.
http://www.historexagents.com/eBook/HornetHeads.pdf

If you go to his site you'll see them in closer detail. Just click on a head to see the complete set.
Hornet Heads

He doesn't sell direct but they are widely available.

Alan
HerrGray
Visit this Community
Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
KitMaker: 185 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 07:21 AM UTC
Hi,

Hornet heads definatly look the part... how about Warriors heads? how do they stack up?

Gray

alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 07:35 AM UTC
I don't have much experience with Warriors heads. I did buy a few sets a couple of years ago at a model show and they are good detail wise and seem to fit in scale to the figures, ICM ones, I replaced them on.Detail wise they are okay but not as good as Hornets, in my opinion.

I was wondering about getting replacement ones made by Legend, they are very keenly priced at Luckymodel.com last time I looked, but have never seen them "in the flesh" as it where.

I have to say that the figures coming out now, certainly from Dragon are so good they are getting closer to resin for detail and don't need replacing.

Alan
PeterMeess
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 08:31 AM UTC
Hi Alan

thanks for your comments! I´m realy surprised how fast I get replies to my messages !!!

I´ll now try different heads for my "Fallis", I´ll keep you informed!

Since I´m planning to build round about 30 Paratroopers for my Diorama, I have to find a company that has enough different heads in range, so I don´t have to use one and the same too often in my setting.

Thank you very much, again, as this is my first day here!

Greetz, Peter.
PeterMeess
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 08:41 AM UTC
 _GOTOTOP