_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-80 and SP designs
squaller
Visit this Community
Czech Republic
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 07:52 AM UTC
Hello everyone,
(btw. please excuse my english)
Have anyone any experience with SP designs corrections? I bought T-80 "Bereza" from SKIF manufacturer, but the upper hull and turret are almost without details, so I searched on internet and I found "Saammodels" webpage, but I`m not quite sure which types of SP designs can be used on my kit. And secondly: is there any dealer in Europe? Because shipment from US to us is very expensive especially when the owner is from Ukraine (it`s little bit ridiculous when the kit is traveling from Ukraine to US and then back to Europe).
Thx for answers
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 11:21 AM UTC
Sp designs is a great place for your T80 projects. The quality has really improved of late and Jacques (who s a regular here) has great customer service. I believe he is out of the country right now. I know he deals world wide and you can trust him. AFAIK he doesn't have a European retailer.

There have been a number of WIP posts on the SP Designs T-80 stuff. I know George recently finished a heavily modified T80 using the SP Designs set.

Chris
Reiter960
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 11:40 AM UTC
No, it's still WIP. A good example of what current casting level of SP Designs will give can be viewed here: http://www.track-link.net/blogs/116
Older sets offer unique features but require some work in places, IMO author totally missed out with weathering there :
http://armorama.com/forums/101552#838555
floggerspam
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 06:50 PM UTC
I can't wait to see the painted version. It looks 80% resin and 20% ICM plastic.

Great work.

John
squaller
Visit this Community
Czech Republic
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 08:18 PM UTC
Hello guys,

I don`t have doubts about Jacques reliability, I know that he is trustful, but I`m trying to figure out which type from his remakes will be the best choice for my T-80UD "BEREZA" and if there is some option how to get these remakes as cheapest is possible because I choose one remake which I think is good for my kit (if I`m wrong - please correct me): click here to see

The first problem is that Jacques is for one month in Italy but I found another dealer which is capable to sell me this remake - but still from US.
The second problem is that the remake cost about 36 dolars and shipment is about 29 dolars and that is crazy. I`m willing to pay 36 dolars but once more money for the shipment - I`m not a thief .
I`m wondering that there is no reatiler in Europe especially when the manufacturer is from Ukraine (maybe there is posibillity to contact Sergej but I don`t know)
If any one know how to contact Sergej....please let me know.

I`d like to do nice looking T-80 with many details - for now I`ve ordered the Eduard`s details and now I want to get remake from Jacques.

BTW I tried to read whole thread about T-80`s on this forum and I must admit ....good work all of you!
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 - 08:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If any one know how to contact Sergej....please let me know.

Here you are : [email protected]

This is the address Sergej shows on his instructions. I contacted him when needed and he replied pretty quickly. The prices for his kits are the same as Jacques' (who does not make money on the kits). I can't comment on the shipping rate from Ukraine to Western Europe though. I'd be interested to know.

HTH
Olivier (who built a T-80UDK from SP on a Skif base)
squaller
Visit this Community
Czech Republic
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 03:48 AM UTC
Thx man,
I`m very grateful for your help. I wrote him an e-mail. For now no response, so we will see tomorrow. I let you know about shipment around the western Europe if he will answer me back.
I visited your pages....really nice work. I have almost finished sweden STRV 103C from Trumpeter manufacturer too with Eduard`s details.
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 04:05 AM UTC
I ordered from Sergej about two years ago. I remember the shipping was around 7 dollars. Sergej and Jacques are great people to do business with.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 04:42 PM UTC
Thanks for all the kind words and confidence in me (and Sergej). Much appreciated, it makes the hard work well worth while.

Sergej is just fine to order from, does not matter to me. I do this to help get the kits into Norht America and to get Sergej the resin/rubber he needs to do the kits to the standard he is right now.

George, Sergej's latest kit, 223 T-80U m85 "Kharkov" is quite the piece to be seen, his best work yet. The ERA bricks are newly mastered and are on par with Miniarm and Model Point. But, they are not available seperately and they do have some issues with bolts heads missing from air bubbles.

For a true T-80U "Bereza" you probably want to use SP Designs kit 219 T-80UD m88 This is the most common form of the T-80UD with the K-5 ERA. The T-80UD m85 (kit 201) represents the -UD with the K-1 ERA that was VERY short production.

I have not left for Europe yet, (Saturday the 30th off to Paris). I will have a laptop with me, so I will still check e-mail and check websites.

I will also try to get up a photo of the difference in the SP Designs kit vs. the DML kit. pretty amazing difference.

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 06:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have not left for Europe yet, (Saturday the 30th off to Paris).

Lucky man, the weather forecast for tomorrow in Paris is excellent. Enjoy your stay !
squaller
Visit this Community
Czech Republic
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 11:19 PM UTC
I tried to send the e-mail to Sergej but e-mail had been returned to me with this message:
Your message for from 2009/05/28 could not be delivered.
It's attached below.
Reason:
---------------
4.4.0 smtp; 193.151.12.15: Socket read timeout after mail from
Persistent Transient Failure - Other or undefined network or routing status
|:(
Is the e-mail address correct? I will try send the e-mail once more from another e-mail address and I will see. Or can you (Jacques) contact him and ask him where the problem is?
THX a lot
Reiter960
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 12:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

George, Sergej's latest kit, 223 T-80U m85 "Kharkov" is quite the piece to be seen, his best work yet. The ERA bricks are newly mastered and are on par with Miniarm and Model Point. But, they are not available seperately and they do have some issues with bolts heads missing from air bubbles.

I didn't know that non K-5 hull is out, it looks very tempting Is there any chance of SP Designs making Kharkov's T-80UD with K-1/3 and ZPU-7 based on this set? If I would have known that there will be pre-K-5 version with mono block upper hull I would have not gotten in to that mess of following Malginov's projections a year ago, but now I'm committed to the task. ATM, I'm much more interested in Ukrainian development after seeing newer Oplot-M version.
Have a great trip to Europe
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 07:23 AM UTC
ZPU-7? I know it will hitme after I post this...

The T-80U m85 hull is also meant for the...T-80B. This is the first investment in finally getting that conversion off the ground. No dates on when it will be available...Sergej is now on a T-64 and T-72 kick!

As for promised photo's...

SKIF T-80UD kit with SP Designs T-80U m91 conversion (sort of - it is a frankenstien of pieces that were produced at different times and so it does not represent any SPECIFIC SP Designs kit.) next to the DML T-80U SMT m1989 (really a T-80UD and re-released under the Zvezda and Revell labels as T-80UD's) The DML kit is OOB, but I think the differnces are apparent and worth seeing in a picture. The SP Designs kit (and the SKIF kit) measure out compared to the Polygon blueprints. Does anyone know if there are more accurate ones? (I seem to recall some in a M-hobby issue?)
Reiter960
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 09:33 AM UTC
I meant remote operated weapons station for CO position. The best blue prints out there are the factory ones. Best ones included in contemporary publication have to be 3-section views of Object219A in the Polygon book.
squaller
Visit this Community
Czech Republic
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 10:58 PM UTC
I tried to contact Sergej on this e-mail "[email protected]" but with no success (twice, but every time is message undelivered). Is this e-mail address correct?
THX
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 11:10 PM UTC
George - yes, I am pretty sure that, when Sergej gets to the -UD complete upper hull, that a initial Kharkov -UD with K-1/3 ERA and CROWS will be available.

Martin - Sorry, it should be [email protected]

(PS, Hello from Paris.)
Reiter960
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 - 07:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

George - yes, I am pretty sure that, when Sergej gets to the -UD complete upper hull, that a initial Kharkov -UD with K-1/3 ERA and CROWS will be available.

Martin - Sorry, it should be [email protected]

(PS, Hello from Paris.)

Nice, in the mean time there is going to be T-80UM with Arena for me sometime this summer.
How is fashion capital lately?
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 - 08:37 AM UTC
"Fashion capital" has some strange designs, but not any weirder than any other large, metropolitan city. Or at least it does not seem any stranger to me. The only thing I have nonticed is the lack of overweight people here. I have only seen a handfull of overweight tourists, and only one overweight person that spoke french! That is the biggest shock for me. America really does have a problem with its weight...including me. Sigh.

On topic. T-80UM w/Arena. Sounds good. When are you going to do masters?
Reiter960
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 - 11:10 AM UTC
Well, late July most likely. I want to see reports from summer land forces exhibits in Siberia. New T-90 and modernized T-80U should be unveiled there.
This time I'm shooting for 3D printing though
 _GOTOTOP