_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
PHOTOS: MODEL
Making a Parachute
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 02:03 AM UTC
Parachutes are such a part of the military from D-Day to Special Ops. They are not integrated into dioramas that often because they are such a challenge. Here is a nice technique that depicts a realistic parachute from simple household items.

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 622 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 02:13 AM UTC
Hello Robert
That's a clever way of making a parachute.
You've done a great job.
The clear Kitchen foil is called "Cling Film " . would never of thought to have used it.
pzkw
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 04:58 AM UTC
Simply, an awesome post, all the way around!! Your dio looks fantastic, and the steps you have illustrated in making a parachute are superb. Thanks for such a great post.

BTW, your wife's "plastic foil" is, here in America, variously called cling wrap, Saran Wrap (a trademarked name), and Handi-Wrap (also a trademarked name, but I'm not sure if it's even produced any more).

Cheers
Tim
pzcreations
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,106 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 05:45 AM UTC
yup, its still made..I use it for wrapping built models for shipping..great stuff.. and a very great idea for its use! always wanted to make a chute deployed for an F-4 landing.now I know how. nice idea for rcycling batteries there too.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 07:26 AM UTC
Robert-- pretty darn clever! I will have to try this one. I would also have to research the cargo parachute system to see if they have a vent cap as do the personnel parachutes. The vent cap is located at the very top of the canopy and allows air to escape during the decent thus controlling the oscillation or swinging motion. It also aids (to a very limted degree) steering the parachute. What is the source document you used for the construction?
thanks
Well done
DJ
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 472 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 08:08 AM UTC
Thank you very much for this. I have been wondering about a solution for quite a while now. And your SBS gave me the push I needed. I shall however first try your ballon jig with Magic Sculpt rolled out flat.

Cheers
 _GOTOTOP