Hosted by Darren Baker
Japanese Carrier markings
das
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 49 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 08:01 AM UTC
This may be a repost, I've been trying to figure out how to add a photo to my topic...so bear with me.
I'm building a small base for my 1/32 A6M5 Zero, what colour would the markings on the carrier deck be? White, yellow or other???

As for the plane, it was an old open kit purchased at the 2008 London Model Show. It's a Hasegawa 1/32 with the upgrades included ( metal propeller, cowling, landing gear, seat, guns etc. All the parts were there and it went together well. Although my skill level isn't what other people are able to do on this site, I was very happy with it.

Thanks for any help on the colours,
Darren

BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Armorama: 994 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 - 05:07 PM UTC
Hi Darren,
Not exactly an Armor Forum question, but I'll try to answer your question the best I can.
The flight deck on most Japanese carrier were the following: White stripe, solid, running lenght of the ship on both the port and starboard sides. Dotted white stripe down the center line of the ship. Deck color varied from gray to the number 4 wire, then to a Teak wood color, then back to gray towards the bow. The Bow had the Red Japanese cirlce paint on.
This was like a bull's eye to American pilots. In fact they were told to look for it and aim at it during dive bombing runs.
After the Midway battle, the Japanese changed they flight deck colors and started painting there carriers to look more like Battleships from the air. Oversize fake 2-D turrent, and disruptive camo patterns were used, but by 1943 it was too late.

Hope this helps.

das
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 01:35 PM UTC
Thanks for the info. I'm just doing a small section, big enough to sit the plane on, so I'll drop a couple of the white dotted lines on.

Darren
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Armorama: 994 posts
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2009 - 01:51 PM UTC
Darren,
No problem. Sometimes small areas are the biggest challenges when it comes to detail, and tooo much detail in a small area can mess things up.

das
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 - 03:09 PM UTC
Completed my base, here it is. I made my "carrier deck" with coffee stir sticks painted with a mix of Dark yellow and flat earth.
 _GOTOTOP