_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
WIP dio "Final Days"
Owsi
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 07:16 AM UTC
The following pics are of the diorama I am currently working on, tentatively entitled "Final Days" depicting an encounter in Berlin towards the end of WWII between some German infantry and a T-34/85 with Soviet troops aboard. The kits in use are Dragon's T-34/85(6266), Dragon's Panzergrenadiers-Arnhem 1944(6161), and Tamiya's Russian Army Assault Infantry(207). The building is made from carved balsa foam with bass wood window and door frames with the windows and door made from styrene. As you can see from the pictures, I still have a long way to go. The exterior of the building is probably at 90% complete, whereas the interior hasn't been started yet. The base has also not been started. The T-34 and figures are more or less ready for me to start painting with the exception of one more figure I need to build. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

The title actually has a bit of a double meaning in that the T-34 and Panzergrenadiers were purchased at a going out of business sale for a LHS in my area. It is definitely a downer when that happens, but getting these two kits for something like $25.00 USD at least provides a bit of a silver lining.
Pyromaniac
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 362 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 09:43 AM UTC
looks like it will turn out really good. i will also be using tamiyas russian infantry and t 34/85 in my next project, (only i will use the bedspring version). will try to follow this build as best i can.
gfwilliams3
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 28 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 - 05:56 AM UTC
Hi

I like the building done with Balsa Foam..I came across this project for my large scale diorama. I have to do 5-8 houses and foamboard just isnt cutting it.

What level of foam did you buy..I gues there are 2-3 levels 1 being the easy to scalp and the next level up being the hardest to carve.

What tools did you use...Do you know of any modeling books that deal with carving balsa foam..

Thanks
GW
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 - 03:48 AM UTC
What are you going to use as a sealer on the balsa foam? That stuff is like a sponge and just soaks up anything you put on it!
SovietBoy22
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 452 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 - 04:22 AM UTC
AWESOME!
Thanks
Euan
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg