_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
IDF Sh'ot Kal Reference Photos
Outerarm
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 240 posts
Armorama: 233 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 - 11:55 PM UTC
Hi,

I’m building the AFV Club IDF Sh’ot Kal and I was hoping someone would be able to point me to some suitable reference photos of the vehicle. Specifically I’m looking for some good pics of the mantlet cover so I can scratch one up. I have done the usual Google searches, but not really found much of use.

Many thanks,
Ian

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 01:37 AM UTC
PM me your email address.
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 04:30 AM UTC
Rob,
Do you have any shots of the glacis with the additional plate added. I am trying to see if there are welds in the cut outs for the tow points. I suspect that there are welds but want to be sure. Also, any recommendations for the square mesh for the basket on the Sho't Kal

John

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 05:05 AM UTC
I was going to send him a good shot of the mantlet cover, which at that time was not the one with the "cutout" on the inside as seen by about '82. I can answer your question on the glacis cutout, as this was of concern to me as well. No welds as far as I can tell. In fact, I believe the AFV Club Cent could use more prominent welds around those two large tow lugs. I can try to send you pics later if time permits. I'm trying to jump through my @$$ getting ready for my trip to San Diego tomorrow. If I can't get them to you tonight, I will when I get back. This'll be my first trip without a computer. I'm experimenting to see how well my Crack-Berry will do out in the field...
I'll have have to check what I'm using for the mesh. I've got a few Voyager PE sets, but haven't gotten to the point where I've checked their accuracy yet. Too many other projects I'm getting back into after almost two years of accomplishing almost nothing.
Outerarm
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 05:09 AM UTC
18Bravo, thanks for the offer -- PM sent.

Cheers,
Ian
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 07:20 AM UTC
Rob,
I wasn't sure about those welds... I would agree on the welds on the whole model. I redid mine with .015 rod and will add the appropriate beads on the tow points. Don't worry about the picture, the verbal works as good. Have fun in SD, well, as much as you can... without your computer.

John
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 12:38 PM UTC
Ian, this is the best I can find for now, although I know I have several more. It's just a plain Jane cover like the one AFV Club does for the Mk 5. John and I have had a discussion about the accordion portion also being on them in '73, which he sent me photos of. Still, the actual cover appears to be the same.
Outerarm
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 - 10:32 PM UTC
Thanks 18Bravo, just what I need

Cheers,
Ian
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 - 10:30 AM UTC
There is a new Shot Kal book on the way shortly. I won't spoil the publisher's surprise, but it is the first of 4 books on Israeli Centurions. 68 pages, lots of B&W photos from the Yom Kippur War, lots of 5-view drawings and a bunch of detail shots of museum Shot Kals.

Can't wait to see it printed & get my copy.
dodgem37
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 11:58 PM UTC
Try this for a walk-a-round.
http://www.dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=727

Mark
 _GOTOTOP