Armor/AFV: Softskins
Softskins group discussions.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya GAZ-67B Soviet Jeep
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 03:03 PM UTC
OK, I know at least two of you guys out there are farily knowledgeable on Jeeps and assorted softskins (Gunnie, Jeepney). I've had the old Tamiya kit for a few years, it came in a lot of kits I won on Ebay. I thought of it as a throw away kit along with a set of Tamiya brick walls.

I never had any interest in building it, but I found an Armo Post War resin/PE conversion. Looks like the resin is for the radiator frame and two radios and a decent sized PE fret for the body details and radiator grills. It even has PE larger parts like the fenders, bumper, running boards. Amazing the amount of PE on that fret (60ish).

Does anyone have any references for this Jeep? I'd hate to mess up such a nice PE set. Also, what about tires? Are the Russian tires close enough to the standard Jeep tires that I could get away with using aftermarket tires designed for the new Tamiya Jeep?
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 - 03:12 PM UTC
Well - I just happen to have the ugly little sona gun here at home next to Tamiya's pretty Willys Jeep...

I only have some Russian language hardbound references on the GaZ-67B Field Car. None of them are really detailed like the M3 Willys MB Jeep references are. The tires are roughly the same size, but the rims are quite different. They look like soda bottle tops in reality, noticeably different from the Willys' tires.

I'd like to see that detail set. The basic kit is okay, and you can get a good post WW II truck out of it (like in North Korean service during the Korean War) but it sure could use some refined details.

Gunnie
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 01:44 AM UTC
Rob -- Wings and Wheels Publications put out a book all about the GAZ-67B that you can probably still get if interested.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 02:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rob -- Wings and Wheels Publications put out a book all about the GAZ-67B that you can probably still get if interested.

I missed that one when it came out - haven't see it since locally. Gotta look some more...

Gunnie
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2003 - 03:42 AM UTC
A good and enjoyable (and just about) OOB build for me a few years ago. Quite a spiffy little bugger actually.

Have a great time with it!
 _GOTOTOP