_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
REVIEW
Sd.Kfz. 7/2 Flak 37 w/ Armor Cab
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 04:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bill, I assume you're using my argument as something of a straw man for your point, since I in no way am implying that we shouldn't be focused on accuracy. That's not at all what I meant, and I want that to be very clear.

No misunderstanding on my part Bill. You and I are on the same page in that regard.

Quoted Text

As it happens in this particular instance, there is a discrepancy in the historical record about the length of the Sd.Kfz.7 chassis (and in the case of the variants, the rear bed). Depending on whether you believe Spielberger or Panzer Tracts, the Trumpeter and DML kits are BOTH right, though differeing by 3mm. The real inaccuracy issues for the Trumpeter kit are the ammo hoppers, not the chassis length IMO. But in the interest of balance, DML's rear deck railings are 1mm too short in height, and the gun site is not provided. The PMMS comparison review I cited is quite exhaustive on the various shortcomings of the two kits.

Even the published sources often held in high regard can disagree with each other. I understood the point here and agree that it may be an issue with the conflicting sources used and not necessarily a deliberate error on the part of the manufacturer.

Quoted Text

What I do feel about reviewing is that I want to make up my own mind about a kit, not be told "you shouldn't buy this." There are ways to present damning information without shoving it down the reader's throat. And I'm not at all implying that's what you meant. I want the same information about a kit's problems as its successes so I can make up my own mind. I can cite instances of kits I would purchase or have purchased knowing their shortcomings, but I won't bore you with the details.

100% total agreement here as well.
redrx7
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 08:46 PM UTC
Just got this kit and after going back to your review Jim. Thanks for posting such a helpful piece which I found invaluable.This is a wonderful kit which deserves a serious and considered approach....it's probably not for the faint hearted though!
Removed by original poster on 06/21/15 - 17:41:52 (GMT).
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 10:43 PM UTC
I like this kit.
 _GOTOTOP