_GOTOBOTTOM
WarWheels Forum
This forum can be used for all topics and discussions on WarWheels!
Lebanese Saghounds
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 03:30 AM UTC
Greets....
I just received the Best Value Models kit # 35058 Lebanon Staghound. Ive tried to dig up some info on the use of these armored cars but I haven't really found much. Does anyone know of any publications I could buy that would have some info on their use?
It has a new turret with a 75mm gun and a Ma deuce on the commanders cupola.

The kit is very nice with the Bronco kit as the base and other bits in resin. They didnt include the p/e and theres no decals but still not bad for 31.00 USD

Im not even sure what color to paint it - so it'll be a light stone I guess.

CHris
Thatguy
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 487 posts
Armorama: 451 posts
Posted: Monday, June 08, 2009 - 05:11 PM UTC
There's a section on WarWheels.net about them, plus a datasheet:

http://www.warwheels.net/StaghoundAECindex.html
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 12:41 AM UTC
Joe,
Thanks for the help. It also confirms my thoughts that the mgs were replaced by .30 cal and the cover for the engine deck was removed to help cooling.

Chris
awrc
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 11:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Im not even sure what color to paint it - so it'll be a light stone I guess.

Some other British-supplied equipment used in the Lebanon early after the war (specifically, the Charioteer) was painted in desert pink, so you can't even be sure of that.

I see there's a book on the Staghound from Osprey coming soon, that might yield some info.

Al
mackinlay
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 - 03:44 AM UTC
Mr Smith,
The AEC Staghound would have been out of service in 1970, I went sking in The Cedars in Lebanon. A ordnance depot on the road to the slopes, had at least ten AECs located there. And I told by a Christian officer that they had been replaced by AMX-13s in service!

It was quite common to see the standard 37mm gun Staghound in Lebanon at that time, in quite large numbers. Film footage some years later of the Israeli daylight raid on Beirut International Airport, shows four Staghounds advancing to the rear!

When with the UN Mission (UNTSO) in 1984, it was common to see de-turreted Staghounds in Beirut and the surrounding country areas down to the UN Zone of UNFIL. These in the hands of the various Militia's, Christian and Muslim, and were all in a different armament mode. US M40A1 106mm being popular, along with SOVBLOC 82mm and 107mm recoilless rifles, with mix and match collections of all forms of machine guns. US 50 and 30 cal, all varieties of SOVBLOC MGs from 14.5mm-7.62mm, British 2inch and American 60mm mortars, and again a variety of anti-launchers such as RPGs, 3.5inch RL, and 84mm Car Gustav. I remember reading an Observors Daily Report stating that one had been seen in Tripoli with a 6pounder or US 57mm Anti-Gun (complete with wheels) mounted!

Depending upon what Militia they belonged to, and what paint that was available was the paint schemes, blood curdling messages in Arabic festooned them, while various forms of flags flew or were hung from the vehicles.

In two later tours with UN Missions in the region in later years, you would still see them frequently. Still in the same sort of armament, bizarre attempts at camouflage, et ect et ect.

Oddly enough I cannot ever remember that there where hull MGs fitted!

Steven Zaloga's Staghound Armoured Car 1942-62, New Vanguard 159, is a excellent text. Good photos and colour illustrations, one of a AEC in Militia use in 1975, giving colours of sand grey and light tank.

Mr Zaloga's makes a very slight error in relation to the Staghound in Australian Army service, saying they out of service in 1970. They were still in use with the armoured reconaissance regiments of the Citizens Military Forces (Army Reserve today) in 1972, with the Hunter River Lancers handing their last three (and five White Scout Cars - all runners) over to 2 Base Ordnance Depot Detachment Singleton in August, 1972. The Lancers and the South Australian Mounted Rifles both kept one Staghound for use a turret trainer until both were equipped with Scorpion 76mm gun turret M113A1 Fire Support Vehicles. And in each case the Staghound became mascot vehicles, and are now museum items held by them.

The British armed forces have never used a colour called 'Desert Pink'. In the electronic book that I have offered in another message, I discuss in one of the Chapters, this colour and the use of the term "Pink Panther" which had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the vehicles colours.
Yours,
G/.
G.A.MACKINLAY
 _GOTOTOP