Hosted by Darren Baker
1/72 Maus
DoctorFaust
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 08:01 PM UTC
This is a recently finished Pegasus Hobbies 1/72 Maus. This is about my fourth armor model completed from start to finish. Also my first airbrush camo. I know I went kinda overboard on the rust, but I needed the practice. Also I think it could of used some more dirt.

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 04:45 AM UTC
Not bad at all Anthony. IMO, the excessive rust you mention does not stand out in the pictures that bad. I just tried my first airbrushed camo on my own build in this scale so I can relate to what's involved. Some "dusting" night help to tone down some somewhat shiny spots and the crosses. Overall quite a nice build. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
tread_geek
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 10:41 AM UTC
Don't know what you mean, Anthony...looks great to me . Super job on the camo, especially considering the scale. I wish I could do that well in 1/35 !!

Cheers,
Mike
DoctorFaust
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 01:01 PM UTC
Thanks. I sort of dusted it. I didn't like how the camo came out and I sprayed over lightly with the original dark yellow mix, which made the camo really subtle. Oddly the camo shows up much better in the photos than in real life. It also look much more bright yellow than it really is. My photo box I made for 28mm miniature. Think I have to come up with something else for photographing larger items.

I've toyed around with the Tamiya Buff/dusting thing, but I'm having problems. Half the time I end up with a white residue splotched all over the model. I have not figured out what's causing it. It's just Tamiya Buff, Clear and thinner, right? Maybe water is getting into the mix?
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 05:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've toyed around with the Tamiya Buff/dusting thing, but I'm having problems. Half the time I end up with a white residue splotched all over the model. I have not figured out what's causing it. It's just Tamiya Buff, Clear and thinner, right? Maybe water is getting into the mix?

Anthony, depending on how heavy you want the dusting will dictate how much you thin the Buff. I use either Tamiya thinner or isopropyl alcohol as a thinner. My SWMBO is a decorative artist and was the the one that developed and showed me the technique. She experimented on an older build of mine while developing the method. Here's an example of what can be achieved.

While the picture may not make it obvious, there is not only Tamiya Buff involved in the dusting but also XF-52 dark earth and several other artist acrylic colours from the Delta Ceramcoat range (Burnt Sienna, as well as various browns and ochre/beiges). The colours are diluted and applied with pieces of sponge from a decorative artist's stencil sponge.

The sponge on the right has been the donor for several weathering applications. You break off a piece of the sponge about 3/16 of an inch in size and use a reverse action tweezers to hold it and act as a handle. Depending on the intensity you desire you might blot the sponge on a paper towel before applying it to the model. BTW, a light touch/hand is a definite asset when using this technique.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
tread_geek
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 - 07:58 AM UTC
Anthony,

I think that you have done a super job on this one! I have both the Pegasus and Dragon Maus kits in the stash and will be putting them together in the near future . . . Hope that mine will turn out half as good as yours. Super job on the camo.

Thanks for sharing your build here with all of us. Nice set of photos too!

-Eddy
John_O
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 569 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 12:30 AM UTC
Great job! Your Maus really looks mean and nasty. :-) I've got the Dragon one in 1/35 in my stash. Needs some modifications to have it fit the plans, but nowhere as much as the E-100 kit.

John
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 02:07 AM UTC
For a number of 'firsts', you certainly have the touch! It looks like a seasoned vet of WWII!

Nice work, especially with that small of scale.
 _GOTOTOP