_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Tackling SKIF's T-64A - Help Please
emroglan
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 01:08 AM UTC
Greetings Everyone,

A friend of mine has sold me Skif's T-64A a while back, knowing I like Russian AFVs. At the time I didn't know anything about Skif, now I have read a lot and most of the things I read are not positive.

I am thinking of tackling this kit by June. First of all, is it worth the effort? I know there are no other T-64 kits, unless Trumpeter issues one. Should I sell this one off or will it look like a T-64 with some work? (I'm not a nut and bolt counter, I even keep my out of the box built T-72 and T-80 from Dragon on my shelves )

If I should tackle the kit, what are your recommendations? What after-market items should I purchase? Does the kit's tracks need changing?

Any info is much appreciated, I searched Armorama threads and only found Scott's well built T-64B example.

Have a nice day and lots of models to build,
krasnov
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 03:12 AM UTC
Hi

The T-64 is a basic kit but it still look than a T-64, if you already done the T-72 and T-80 from dragon that also had a lot of mistakes and you like it, then the T-64 also will like you, maybe some PE set will help to do a decent model, so dont threw out the kit

regards
scratchmod
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 03:25 AM UTC
Hi Emre

It all depends on if you want an accurate model ( rivet counting ) or another vehicle for your collection. I'm working on two older ESCI T55's which are not the greatest, but I added a few details here and there and they don't look that bad. It depends on how much work and time you want to invest in the model too.
Whichever you choose, good luck and post some pics if you do work on it.

Rob
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 06:20 AM UTC
Hello Emre,
the kit tracks are wrong, you should purchase new ones from Masterclub or Miniarm. The dimensions are approximately right, but if you want to build a masterpiece change the turret for a Miniarm one, use some PE from Eduard and the driver hatch needs to be rebuilt too. This build by Andreas is a good example https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/101019#833935 This build by George is very infomative too https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/123445#1017840 Good luck with this kit.
Arpi
redcap
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 07:27 AM UTC
Agree with the above reader comments. OOB it is basic but add an Eduard etch set and if you can afford it, a MINIARM Resin T-64 Turret set and you will have a great model of a T-64.

MINIARM also do track sets however I bought the SKIF speerate individual track links set and they look good enough to me for at just over j£5.00 a set.

Depends how much you want to spend - but as an absoloute minimum - REPLACE THE KIT'S 'BAND' TYPE TRACKS as they are grossly inaccurate and look awful.

I wouldn't throw out the kit at all nor expect another manufacturer to release a T-64 anytime soon.

Build it - and enjoy it!
emroglan
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 07:49 AM UTC
Thanks guys,

I will definitely be purchasing the Eduard PE set... And I will buy either Miniarm's or Masterclub's track sets...

I'm undecided about the Miniarm turret though... is it really worth that much?
mag135
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / España
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 128 posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 08:04 AM UTC
I think you can build it first, and then decide if you are hppy with the detail. I built one some time ago, OOTB, and once painted it looked right. Not a first line kit, but I liked it.
Javier
Reiter960
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 503 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 02:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys,

I will definitely be purchasing the Eduard PE set... And I will buy either Miniarm's or Masterclub's track sets...

I'm undecided about the Miniarm turret though... is it really worth that much?

Do not buy Eduard's PE for this kit! While they have made a lot of neat detail sets for other AFV kits, their line for Skif's T-64A/B/BV is completely useless if you care about accuracy. The grills are flat and have wrong pattern, all of the details intended to substitute for kit ones ate badly either over sized pr misshaped or both. The only acceptable pieces I found while building my T-64B were exhaust screens, rather low yield for 17USD set. Also the new turret by Miniarm is for very specific production run, so don't mix up details on your hull if you go for it. There is an option to do earlier T-64A without machine gun station and flattened turret front which would require you some basic sculpturing but would also save you time by not having to deal with Skif's bits like machine gun and mounts on commander's hatch. There is also very good NSVT HMG for Soviet MBTs recently released by TANK, if you do want later T-64A, but don't want to spend money on Miniarm's set. And like others said either Masterclub or Miniarm tracks are a must.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 10:28 PM UTC
A third option, depending on what you want from your final T-64, is to do the more limited run T-64U of the Ukrainian Army. SP Designs just came out with a brand new conversion with a corrected upper hull (one piece casting) that solves a LOT of the accuracy problems of the SKIF kit. However, this is not a generic upper hull and would best be described as a late T-64B upper hull.

Otherwise I would concure with the other assessments so far. Or you could wait for some of the (sometime) forthcoming SP Designs turrets.
emroglan
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 10:45 PM UTC
Thanks a lot for the recent input. George, based on your feedback, I will refrain from buying Eduard's set (and save $13 ). I can reroute my funds for a Miniarm T-64A turret then, which is listed for $41 at Luckymodels.

Jacques, thank you for your information. Will it be too much if I ask for a vendor who sells SP Designs? My usual suspects do not have SP designs and the places I found via Google do not have T-64 items in their inventories. Also, if I decided to use the T-64U upper hull, which turret would I need to use for it? T-64B?
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2009 - 10:28 AM UTC
Your best bet is to contact Sergej directly for your order...cheaper post cost anyhow. He can be found at: [email protected]

The T-64U conversion also has the turret with it: SEE here for photos

I am also not sure if LATE T-64B applies to this because the one piece upper hull has the Ukrainian equivalent of K-5, Nozh, on the front glacis. I would look to make sure that there are T-64B with the glacis Nozh ERA before doing a backdating of the conversion. Sorry for some possibly incorrect information before.
 _GOTOTOP