_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Old School T-72
Ellevenbravo
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 269 posts
Armorama: 261 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 02:14 PM UTC
I have resurrected another old favorite from my past. This one is the Tamiya T-72. I made this in 1992 right after Desert Storm. This was before there was much out there for aftermarket stuff (we are so spoiled today). The Tamiya kit is still a good one but like all kits, much can be done to improve the basic model. I spent many hours adding electrical conduit and new mounts to the smoke launchers, also added a bunch of small parts to the turret (especially the 12.7mm MG). Everything was made from stretched sprue and plastic scrap. No PE or resin on this baby!

It took the lead spot on my model shelf for many years but at some point, it was deemed obsolete and transferred to the basement "boneyard" for long term storage. I ignored it for years but this week for some reason, my old models caught my eye and I decided to dust them off (this took quite a while) and snap some pics of them.

Anyway, here she is....

Regards,

John
clay_cliff
Visit this Community
Lima, Peru
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 05:53 PM UTC
Very nice, I like the wiring in the smoke grenade dischargers. Thanks for sharing. Best regards

José.
guni-kid
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 521 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 09:50 PM UTC
Its a really nice model considering the time it was built (without any real AM)! You should keep it in your display shelf it's worth it
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 11:46 PM UTC
Very nice looking T-72. You can deem it obsolete and transfer it to my shelf if ya want?
flugwuzzi
Visit this Community
Lower Austria, Austria
KitMaker: 633 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 12:57 AM UTC
very good and clean build.
I like the restrained wethearing.

cheers
walter
Ellevenbravo
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 269 posts
Armorama: 261 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 03:01 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind words. This one has been a favorite from the beginning because all of the extras were done by hand. I think I'll transfer this one out of the basement and back to my main display shelf.

Still hoping that Dragon will release a T-72 family but I think I may have a bit of a wait for that!

Regards,

John
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2009 - 07:58 AM UTC
More than likely it will be Trumpeter that makes a series. Dragon seems to think the only thing to manufacture is re-issues of WW2 German stuff. and Sherman variants
 _GOTOTOP