_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Yom Kippur T-62 (repost from main forum)
Ellevenbravo
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 269 posts
Armorama: 261 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 01:40 PM UTC
I mistakenly posted this in the main AFV forum last week. Meant to repost it here but got sidetracked. Anyway.......

Just going through my old-school models that have been relegated to basement storage and came across one of my favorites. It was the good ole Tamiya T-62 updated with some PE (ancient stuff, maybe On-the-Mark), a bunch of scratch built details including the headlight guard (what a pain in the a** to construct), an AEF T-62 upgrade kit (new turret, ammo boxes, gun tube) and some resin fuel cells / storage boxes (I think AEF, could be wrong). All markings are hand-painted. Say what you want about AEF but they did release some decent stuff, plus there wasn't much else to choose from back then.

I painted it to represent a pix I saw of a knocked-out Syrian T-62M that was photographed somewhere in the Golan Heights after the 1972 war. What do you guys think? Take it easy on me, this model is around 15 years old! There wasn't much for aftermarket goodies back then. The only thing I wish I had available back then was some decent tracks. I had to make do with the original kit tracks.

Regards,

John

mikado
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 329 posts
Armorama: 254 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 03:34 PM UTC
John,

Your T-62 looks good even though if may be 15 year ago.
I like the Camo as well as the worn out and tired look of the your vehicle.
As for scratch building especially the lights guard, it looks great. Wish I had your patience.

I agree with you on the track that comes with the old tamiya kit isnt very good.
Noticed that you did not glue it down...if you want to glue it down, the track will only response to "super glue"...but will most likely damage any existing paint on the wheel...

Your 15 years old model tell me that during the time when you are building this kit, paint chipping and scratches hasnt caught up in pasltic modelling yet.... These days, it is difficult to see any middle east vehicle without chipping and scratches.....

Mike
Ellevenbravo
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 269 posts
Armorama: 261 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 12:31 PM UTC
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the compliments. I actually did glue the tracks down, the other side (which for some reason I didn't photograph) is fine, that right side was still partially secured but was starting to loosen up when I took my pictures. I subsequently fixed it.

Good point about the paint scratches.... I'll get that fixed when I finally get my hands on the Trumpeter T-62.

John
HK_AFV
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 431 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 - 03:18 PM UTC
Is that weathering or natural aging? Either way, the kit still looks good. Also like to see your Trumpeter T-62 side by side with this one soon.

Paul
 _GOTOTOP