Hosted by Darren Baker
water effects resin
Pyromaniac
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 362 posts
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 - 08:13 AM UTC
Clear resin is something that i have always been interested in, and now i need some for a dio so i have the chance to try it out. the problem is, i don't know what to buy. Shep Paine mentions in his book about Envirotex, but it is not easily available in the UK, and it works out quite expensive to buy online. I wondered what other people use? I googled 'casting resin' and got this. i wondered if that would be okay to use. It's fairly cheap and you can get as much as you like, (although i'm not sure i need a 225l barrel )
does it look like the right sort of stuff?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 - 02:03 PM UTC
That stuff looks very similar to the stuff I used in this feature
GotchaCovered
It will probably 'do the trick' . It is different from Environtex, it's thicker than Envirotex and will require more 'bed preparation'. I think envirotex is for thin coatings, where the other stuff is for thicker layering.
JeepLC
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 510 posts
Armorama: 469 posts
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 - 03:46 PM UTC
I can think of various... albeit devious things to do with that barrel. None involving kits or dioramas to be perfectly honest. Back to the point. I use similar stuff too. I went to Michaels (it's a craft store here in the states). They have similar products for cheap. If ya'll have home improvement stores like Lowes or Home Depot i have seen stuff there.

-Mike
Pyromaniac
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 - 10:29 PM UTC
yeah i have the right chemical from B&Q (a UK home improvement store), which is intended for fibreglass repairs. unfortunately it is no good for my purposes because the resin has a slight yellowish tint, and the catalyst is bright orange. I might get someof this then. Obviously i won't need a Kg though so does anyone know the shelf life of this stuff?
tornado64
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 203 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 - 11:21 PM UTC
should imagine both agents have a long shelf life ..
newdriftking
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 365 posts
Armorama: 283 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 01:10 AM UTC
Check out my dio "Iraq Dio" and I've used a product called Gedeo Crystal Resin got it from an art shop in Manchester.

http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/shop-online/gedeo-crystal-resin.htm

Also depends on how much you need, I've looked at this product and have considered buying it myself as I need 1400ml of 'Water' to complete my dio!

The Gedeo is easy to use and you can add colours to it....

Paul.

PS. I've got other photos of the water in my dio if you want to look email me.
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 303 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 - 01:27 AM UTC
Ive used the gedeo pruduct and it works great, you will need some electronic scles though to measure out the mixing ratios, i bought a set from asda for about £8 which did the trick.
I used acrylic paint to colour it and it worked fine, a word of caution , only use a very small amount of acrylic paint as it will darken when resin has set.

Not sure of shelf life but i think it drops drastically once the product has been opened.

Steve
Nightstrike
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 114 posts
Armorama: 107 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 10:03 AM UTC
Luke So which product did you use and how did it turn out?
Pyromaniac
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 11:55 PM UTC
haven't actually got round to buying any yet, but i'll let you know how it turns out when i do.
 _GOTOTOP