_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Diorama Base for Pzr III K
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,255 posts
Armorama: 485 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 08:44 AM UTC
Started Pzr IIIK Diorama Iwill be titling "Near Thing"

Found the base in a Army Surplus store - old award of some type, pure walnut... best part $1.75. Little sanding and some Semi Gloss Finish... and we have a BASE.

Going to be Grassland Late Summer Russia 1943 with some scrubby trees in the back ground

Base and Blue tape... not Mickey Mouse

I tape off the base to protect the finish from ground material and paint. And I do a second layer on the top. This second layer will be peel off as soon as my work is done and before everything dries. Prevents a lot of "stuck tape" syndrome.

Next I drill 1/4 holes all over the base in the areas to be covered by ground. Not precise science I try to have a hole ever inch +/-.

I need some height so I use florist foam – it is easy to find, easy to cut and dense enough to hold up to all my "messing and adjusting". Here I have added in 1/4-1/2 inch slices of a root I found while on a walk with my bride (remember every walk or outing is an opportunity to find modeling goodies) this give a little elevation and adds some interest for the viewers eyes to ponder. We are Modelers. We love it just because (may be an illness, I will check the "Second Book of Hesitations" and get back to you all) but always remember your audience… who will see it and what will they perceive. Trees were added in for height, visual variation and to contrast the camo paint job – grass and trees will hopefully give visual impact of camo.

This ground cover will be Celluclay… mixed in a paper picnic bowl with a huge dollop of White glue (gives it adhesion and keep the edges from peeling up off the walnut base) and a health portion of Burnt Siena Acrylic paint (Color for those spots I might miss while painting later). I spread it out with a small artist spatula.

Next I pour on dirt mixture - real dirt, fine rocks, pebbles that I found in the street gutter while I was mowing the lawn. I scoop it up and put in a mason jar for use later. I use a toothbrush to push down any irregular area and fill in any spots I missed at the base of the trees or my little rise.

After I am satisfied, I peel of the second layer of tape and set it assign to dry… do not want it to dry to fast or the Cellucaly can shrink dramatically or roll up at the edges. Give it a solid day before blow of the excess dirt and start painting.

You can see the tank tread marks. I positioned my Pzr III and then pressed down to leave a footprint. At the edge I used a screwdriver to tear up the soil a bit.

Confucius say, “Big tanks leave bit footprints…” or maybe that was Shun Yuck….? Anyway enjoy!

Paint and grass next!

Neill
Pyromaniac
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 362 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 11:40 AM UTC
looking good already. the trees are nice. will there be any figures in this diorama?
tankman08
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 157 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 11:47 AM UTC
Looking good!!, look good with a battle hardened panzer commander sitting in the turret

Regards Paul
Neill
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 12:44 PM UTC
Working on the Commander and a gunner right now...
Pyromaniac
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 362 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 09:58 PM UTC
cool. i think that will add some extra life to this scene. the tank is excellent by the way
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 11:15 PM UTC
Nice display you have going on looks real good.

Sweet deal on the base a good fine on that.

Cheers
Neill
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 10:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice display you have going on looks real good. Sweet deal on the base a good fine on that. Cheers

Yes, always looking in thrift stores, surplus stores, grage sales, etc for "stuff".

Used some nice walnut and oak Salt and Pepper mills for bases for Bust I have sculpted over the years.

Off to one of those "OBLIGATION" parties ,but hope to have some new pics tonight...
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 11:52 AM UTC
I like it John, good photos and SBS and the tank loks good too. I look forward to seeing the Tank commander.
Removed by original poster on 07/05/09 - 00:09:25 (GMT).
Neill
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 - 01:10 PM UTC
on to grass at

Grass for Pzr III K Diorama

_GOTOTOP