_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Yet Another Campaign Idea- "By The Book"
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 04:25 PM UTC
Campaign Idea

Proposed Name: BY THE BOOK

This campaign would require modeling a scene from a fictional book. The genre of Military Fiction spans a pretty wide range of eras, locales and subjects. (Think “Team Yankee” or “Red Storm Rising” or whatever strikes you as a good mental image to model). It would include Armor, Aircraft, Figures, Ships...Obviously the output would be dioramas.

The “hook” for this campaign would be the requirement for you to submit the SCENE prior to building! In other words you’d have to copy the passage you are modeling, post it to the Campaign Folder along with the Title/Author of the Book and THEN commence building.

To put some parameters on this idea a timeframe of 1939-2010 seems reasonable and no Sci-Fi (sorry Sci-Fi fans).

Options...A few stray thoughts or ideas that could be incorporated would be to allow movie scenes (but I’d prefer NOT TO since it takes the “visualization” part out of the build.)

I’m open to thoughts, comments, etc.

Jim/Jaster
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 02:53 AM UTC
I really like this idea! I'm always picturing the scenes being modeled as I read the book, and try to pay attention to little vehicle specific details, and scene specific details, toward that purpose. I'm not sure about penalizing people just because their book was made into a movie, but maybe it can be allowed if their scene either wasn't included in the movie, or Hollywood botched it so bad that the model wouldn't resemble the movie scene.
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 05:41 AM UTC
I have actually thought of something similar and almost suggested it. Years ago, there was a diorama in the old Military Modeler reproducing a photo of a British soldier capturing a Panzer III or IV, I don't remember which. Anyway, I thought it would be need to base a model or diorama on a published photo. Submit the photo along with the finished model. Does that make sense?

Patrick
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 05:43 AM UTC
Regarding Movies...the intent was not to penalize, but to have the participants use the "minds eye" to do the scene, not a Hollywood director's eye. That said I have to admit the inspiration for this was a diorama someone did of the final scene in "saving Private Ryan" that was featured on the cover of a modelling magazine.

Also- I'm looking for input from people on this. NOTHING is out of the mix yet. And books made into movies are decidedly NOT out of the mix!

Phantom, like you I "see" the scenes as I read...then I sort of build the Diorama inmy mind...

Jim/Jaster
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 09:22 AM UTC
Patrick, that could be an idea for another campaign altogether - call it "A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words" or something.

Jaster, I think I misread you original post, sorry. I think you intended that books made into movies would be fine, but pure movie scenes would not since the whole idea is to represent how you picture the scene in your own mind and a pure movie lacks that imaginative, objective element.
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 01:30 PM UTC
I love the "Picture is Worth a Thousand Words" idea!

Phantom- the concept of MOVIES isn't a problem, it is the fact that it takes the idea of converting the mental picture into a physical image out of the "hands" of the modeler and gives them to the Director! Books made into movies- NO PROBLEM!

And...this campaign is open to a WIDE range of subjects. Armor, Aircraft, Ships, WWII, Korea, Cold War, Mid-East, WWIII?? ...if it was in a fictional book, it is fair game!

Jim/ Jaster
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2003 - 02:54 PM UTC
It could really be interesting, I've got more ideas than I'll ever have time to build.

The opening chapter of 'Rolling Thunder' where the main character brings in his F-100 with the nose gear inoperable.

In 'Huey' when the main character thoroughly thrashes the Squadron CO's low-hour bird by pulling an emergency Medevac while on C&C duty w/ Brass riding in back.

'Phantom Over Vietnam' has several possibilities, from the Hangar Queen to Super Bombers.

And then there's all the ground warfare books! Too many scenes, too little time.

ps: Does anyone else run their own little mini campaigns w/ their own models? I have 'cars my friends and I have owned', 'planes I've sat in', 'planes my uncles flew', etc.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 07:56 AM UTC
I like the "Picture is worth a Thousand Words" idea - but how's about letting the modeler build the scene without a narrative, and the observers guess the novel or text it came from?

Gunnie
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 10:12 AM UTC
Interesting idea. What a pity I can't do ALL campaigns

Just wondering : can a diorama setting in 2010 be anything but Sci-Fi ?
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 03:50 PM UTC
Interesting twist Gunnie! Maybe...

Quoted Text

Just wondering : can a diorama setting in 2010 be anything but Sci-Fi ?

Well, my intent was to open the field to curreent technology from books set slightly in the future. the Eric Harry book "Invasion" comes to mind. My intent is to avoid spacecraft, levitating tanks, etc.

Jim/Jaster
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 04:23 PM UTC
Awwwww... but a Panzer or Combat Car from Hammers Slammers would be soooo cool.

Oh, I know Jaster...some other time....
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2003 - 07:23 PM UTC
I'd like to see someone do an EB-52 Megafortress from Dale Brown's books. This beast only has four engines, an SST-style nose and V-shaped ruddervators. I saw a vague pic of this in one of the modeling event galleries but alas, no detail pics are available.
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Armorama: 449 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 01:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Campaign Idea

Proposed Name: BY THE BOOK

This campaign would require modeling a scene from a fictional book... (Think “Team Yankee” or “Red Storm Rising” or whatever strikes you as a good mental image to model).

Hmmm... that scene where Vigdis Agustoddir was taking a bath by the spring with Edwards guarding her in Red Storm Rising would be nice to do... hehehehe especially if the scale is 1:1 hahahaha!
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 02:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd like to see someone do an EB-52 Megafortress from Dale Brown's books. This beast only has four engines, an SST-style nose and V-shaped ruddervators. I saw a vague pic of this in one of the modeling event galleries but alas, no detail pics are available.

Ahhhhh...that's the hook! You don't need any picture but the one in your mind!!

Quoted Text

Hmmm... that scene where Vigdis Agustoddir was taking a bath by the spring with Edwards guarding her in Red Storm Rising would be nice to do... hehehehe especially if the scale is 1:1 hahahaha!

And once again...letting the "Mind's Eye" wander! 1:1 scale- you be to consumed by details to complete I bet! haha

There was some concern about timing mentioned is some of my 'rogue" posts in other Forums about this campaign's timing with so many Campaigns gearing up to start. This is just an idea to put in the que, scheduled to happen WHEN the Docket is a bit more open!

Jim/ Jaster
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 - 03:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Someone entered this 1/72 conversion in the IPMS/USA Nationals in Virginia Beach last summer. Being all black, getting any detail shots was really tough. Very impressive model, it was displayed "in flight' on a tall stand.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 06:58 AM UTC
Friends,

is this Campaign still on ? I noticed in the C3 area, but I couldn't remember reading something about it in the past couple of months.

Then I ran into this topic...starting June 29, 2003 with the final reply on July 1, 2003.... I'm confused... Is there another thread (or more threads) that I missed on this subject ?

Where do we stand...anybody worked out his / her ideas already ? what are the ideas we have ?

I noticed the campaign had quite a large runtime (October 1st, 2005 - May 30th, 2006)...that's 8 months.... IMHO it's a bit on the longish side, but I can be wrong here.

Don't get me wrong, I fancy these campaigns, but I hate to see people fall of the wagon during the ride... long runtimes run the risk op people doing that.
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 385 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 02:50 PM UTC
I don't think that there have been any other threads dealing with this current campaign, and this one looks like a different, earlier idea that never came to pass.
I think that having a long run-up to a campaign can lead to diminished enthusiasm, but it also helps participants take part in a few other campaigns or finish ones they committed to before signing up for another.
As for the long running time, I think it's okay because it gives participants more time to get some reading (or re-reading) done to find a subject. I know I need the extra time since I'm up to my eyeballs in two other campaigns, a couple of "just for the heck of it" projects, and at least half a dozen books trying to figure out what I'm going to build.
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2005 - 02:57 PM UTC
I think the long time frame was for reading the book and the entry MUST be a diorama. I think the time was given to finish that part of the campaign. Some of us are just slow with a dio. LOL Sorry I had to.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 06:45 AM UTC
Hey, I'm a very slow diorama builder to, but that long is a bit too much. And about the reading part.... from now to october 1... that's three months... I read a pile of books in that time

I think the problem is that a lot of builders are tied in multiple Campaigns... that's why in most cases the dropout percentage is very high. Yesterday this campaign had 23 entries.... I wonder how many will finish in 8 months time.... can I make a gues..... 8 of them will

But ok, let's go back to the subject...it is still on.

Thanks for your replies my friends.
 _GOTOTOP