Hosted by Darren Baker
T 34/76
Neo
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 916 posts
Armorama: 758 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 12:48 PM UTC
I’m building the Italeri T-34/76 in 1:72 for the Lets Get Small Campaign.
This is kit #7008, which is one of Italeri Alzo Zero war game style kits so it has a limited number of parts (just over 100) and no PE. However, it does include two figures and some miscellaneous stowage – which is nice.

Sprue Shots

Sprue A: Majority of the parts. Molding mostly clean, very little flash, few knock outs, no major problems yet.

Sprue B: Turret and road wheels. Detail very light on the wheels.

Sprue C: All track in short and long runs. Detail is OK.

Building It

The Kit:
The instructions suggest building the each side with wheels and tracks before adding to floor and rear plate. I rejected this idea and built the lower tub first. Added some scrap sprue to keep it square.

I also cut and cleaned all the roadwheels to get that bit o fun started. Note complete lack of detail on the wheel hubs. I’m not going to bother and fix these, I’ll just make the wheels very muddy.

The Base:
As I am going to put this on a small dio base, I started on that while I am waiting for the tub to dry. Scrap foam insulation, scrap drywall for the stone wall and some ¼ round molding for the wood base.

More to follow…

Neo
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 01:19 PM UTC
Building It

The Kit:
Added the engine vents and cut the solid screen out of the cover. Added some wire mesh I had laying around.

I'm leaving the hatches open so I closed off the inner fender area.

The Base:
Added the base color & texture and some tire / track marks.

The Figures:
The kit came w/ two figures but only one was crew. I started my mold to cast two more.

More to come...
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 04:54 PM UTC
Very intriguing, Neo. I can't wait to see more. There is so much that can be done with these smaller scales. Appreciate you sharing this with the community. Keep on ing.

Cheers,
tread_geek
Neo
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 12:18 PM UTC
Thanks Tread.

Building It

The Kit:
Few things done (much much model building over the 4th Holiday!). Painted engine vents and gave them a quick wash - I don't know if they will show with the grill over them yet. Primed grill and cover. The turret hatch will be open (and it's a big one) so I scratched some gun details. Nothing fancy - just something to fill the space.

The Base:
Did manage to get the base mostly painted. Just need to add the wheat field planting on the upper area and done.

That's all for now,,,
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 12:57 PM UTC
Really like the base...I want to see this one done.
Neo
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 - 07:27 AM UTC
Thanks Jon.

Building It

The Kit:
Finished inside of turret (added rear of gun, MG ammo) and brushed on some off white paint.

The Base:
Added the wheat field planting on the upper area - I'll drybrush some tan onto stalks.

The Figures:
I ruined my mold - I mixed a crappy batch of resin and it would not dry...

So I squash cast another two heads. Here's the driver. I also added legs to the commander figure - I'll mold then out w/ putty when the glue dries.

Coming along (slowly) - hope to get some paint on the T-34 soon...
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 08:39 AM UTC
I have to admit that I like these build type postings the best. I think that I'm not too bad on the painting side but these show I have a lot to learn on the build side. The scratched interior is very interesting, don't know how you and others can do it in this scale. I particularly am fascinated by your casting of the figure. More progress pictures, please.

Regards,
AJ
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 11:31 AM UTC
Yes, interesting. I am building the 1/76 Matchbox T34/76 with my daughter at the moment. I have a Mig half-figure left over from my SU-122 (posting on the Soviet forum) and have been trying to figure out how to get him in the T34. The Matchbox kit has the big hatch but there is a floor to the turret, making it easy to stick the figure in, but of course the space is so big that you can see he is just sitting there with no legs stuck to a floor . . . ! Difficult too is the forward opening hatch - he can't see around it!

I must admit I didn't think of adding legs to him, I might give that a go. I guess I'll have to open up the floor of the turret - I mean my daughter will, of course. Ahem.

On the other hand he might have to drive instead. Thanks, anyway, you have given me some new thoughts on it.
Neo
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2009 - 07:05 AM UTC
Thanks AJ & Matt.

Little more progress (the weather is FINALLY nice here so we've been hitting the beach).

Building It

The Kit & Figures:

Added the dozen or so grab bars that were missing and added the turret lift points. Also added some detail to the hatch and opened up the vent / porthole.
The commander figure is almost done - just needs another arm. One of the half figures will become the gunner (will be down in the turret). I'll paint both and see which one looks better. The driver is already finished and sealed up in the hull.

The Base:
I added a sign for more vert. elements. The old German banner has been torn down and replaced w/ a Soviet one (last pic).

Finally might paint this week...

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2009 - 08:56 AM UTC
Coming along very nicely, Neo. The base is very interesting and I find your work with the figures fascinating. Look forward to seeing the painting begin.

Cheers,
Jan
Neo
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 - 08:19 AM UTC
Thanks Jan - I appreciate your comments (you are one of the few who find this build interesting).

LOL

On to Painting:

Finished painting and weather upper hull, started on bottom hull. Color is alittle off in the 1st pic.

Couple of details shots of turret and driver.

More to Follow...

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 - 08:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Jan - I appreciate your comments (you are one of the few who find this build interesting).

Neo, I try to comment and promote small scale builds as that is my personal area of interest. Obviously with nearing 1250 views your work isn't exactly being ignored. BTW, maybe more people aren't commenting because they recognize your skill and they don't want to over inflate your ego!

I know how colours can be distorted with digital cameras but overall yours is looking very nice. The mud on the suspension, drilling out the machinegun barrel, let alone that driver figure ar things that push this build over the top.

Cheers,
Jan
Neo
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 - 01:17 PM UTC
Hey Jan – thanks again.

The above was more of a personal thanks to you for supporting my build (after all, you posted HALF of the comments). LMAO!

I have bookmarked a direct link to this page so I did not know so many people had viewed this. Now my already gynormus ego is really swelling. Watch out it’s going to blow!

Still LMAO!

But seriously, of course I love any feedback but if some one just wants a quick peek that’s great too. Look around, enjoy – it’s all good.

Just alittle humor & TFIG fun!

weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2009 - 08:31 AM UTC
Neo, I'm fascinated at how you are enhancing what appeared to be a simple kit into something much more. Appreciate you sharing your build and can't wait to see more.

AJ
Neo
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 08:34 AM UTC
Thanks AJ.

The Kit

Small Update - Finished weathering the bottom of the hull and drive & road wheels.

Front:

Sides:

Rear:

The Figures

Better shot of the driver.

The crew in the turret w/ paint blocked in (half figure is down in the turret reaching up so I did not waste alot of time sculpting his face).

Thanks for looking.

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 08:47 AM UTC
Nice update, Neo. You really got the suspension and underside looking nice and cruddy. What did you use for the mud? Your crew figures really turned out well and the pictures are quite good considering the scale.

Cheers,
Jan
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 08:54 AM UTC
Very nicely done! Not only with the build, but the photography is excellent.

cheers
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 08:39 AM UTC
Quite remarkable. I really like what you've done with the muddying of the lower body. As others have stated, your photography of the build is impressive. What camera/lens are you using?

Regards,,
AJ
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 08:46 AM UTC
Very Nice work!!
your rolled up tarp could do with a wash or something tho
Neo
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 04:30 AM UTC
Finished... Finally

Thanks to all looked, I really appreciate your feedback and encouragement.

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 05:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks to all looked, I really appreciate your feedback and encouragement.

Hej Neo. Good job on the figures and the little additions you made to the T34. Don´t work in this scale as its all thumbs for me, but appreciate when others put in the effort.
But ... adding pieces should lift the quality ... and the large netting you used for the rear lid, is so much over scale that it takes away from the finished vehicle IMO. Your dio base is quite nice as well ... but I believe its too small for the T34 and also takes away a bit from the overall effect. The machine gun is unpainted.
Sorry to sound negative ... overall its not ... just some food for thought for your next projects.
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 01:13 PM UTC
Neo,

Aside from a few of the things that Frank pointed out, you did an outstanding job on this kit. You cleaverly hide the shortcomings of the wheel centers (no wheel lugs) with some mud. You did a great job on the figures. Overall you did a super job on this build. I like the wall and poster on the base too!

Thanks for sharing and posting your build, hoping to see more of your stuff. Nice photos!

-Eddy
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 05, 2009 - 01:35 PM UTC
Hi Neo, just found this thread and thanks for showing/explaining your process. I'm always trying to improve my bases. My thought is the color of the crew's helmets would like nice on the uniform and the helmets could be a leather brown. Were the uniforms this blue in the latter part of the war? I don't know. Anyways, Congrats on a great project.
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 - 07:19 PM UTC
Hi Neo.
Thanks for posting your work. I was surprised by all the skills that were used for this dio.
You have scratch, casting, dio setting and building, weathering, you name it. Plus you make it all sound really simple to do.

Congratulations for this build .
 _GOTOTOP