_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
applying Squadron white putty
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 10:11 PM UTC
What are some of the techniques you folks use to apply Squadrons putty. I have trouble getting it stick.
sdk10159
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 556 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 11:09 PM UTC
Hi there,

Gotta ask a few questions.

What are you applying the putty to? Plastic or Resin? Is the surface painted? Does it have a wash applied? Clearcoat?

Squadron's putty (green or white) doesn't readily adhere to anything unless you press it down. And if the surface is painted, it rarely sticks at all.

What I found that works the best is to apply the putty to a non-painted surface that has been cleaned with rubbing alcohol. Then, rough up the suface a bit with sand paper or emery cloth.

Steve
Phil_H
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 442 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 11:37 PM UTC
My preference is to thin Squadron putty to a soupy consistency with liquid cement or lacquer thinner and apply with a paintbrush. It may take several applications to build up the required depth, but it works much better than applying straight from the tube.

If a heavier application is required, don't squeeze it straight from the tube - that's an instant mess waiting to happen. Mask off either side of the area using masking tape and apply using an artists spatula.

BUT: Don't lay it on too thickly (say, more than 2mm) otherwise it may melt/deform the styrene underneath.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 - 12:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What are some of the techniques you folks use to apply Squadrons putty. I have trouble getting it stick.

Squadrons white putty is simply the worst putty Ive been unfortunate enough to have tried. Dries to quickly and can even lift off when sanding. I prefer Humbril putty ... takes longer to dry, but always does the job.
Phil´s tip is a good one when working with putties ... mask around the area being worked on ... then this lifts off easily and there less to work.
 _GOTOTOP