_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-72 m1974
Miniam
Visit this Community
Skaraborgs, Sweden
KitMaker: 66 posts
Armorama: 65 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 07:47 AM UTC
Hi all

This is my T-72 object 172M I built at the same time as the T-64B. What do you do when you have a "nice" Tamiya model? You cut it to pieces and build something else...
The build consists mainly of the Tamiya T-72M1, the SP Design early T-72 hull front, Friul tracks and loads and loads of filler and sandpaper to resculpt the turret.

Some in-progress shots:

Regards
/Tomas
Ellevenbravo
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 269 posts
Armorama: 261 posts
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 - 01:33 AM UTC
Wow, that is a stunning model of a rarely seen T-72 version. I think you did a great job, especially with the painting and weathering. One question, are those outer fenders / dust guards scratchbuilt or did they come with the SP conversion kit?

Also, one observation, it looks like you didn't install a piece of clear plastic for the driver's periscope.

Best regards,

John
Miniam
Visit this Community
Skaraborgs, Sweden
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 - 06:11 AM UTC
Hi John
Busted! Yea... I may hade cheated a little with the driver's periscope... ;-)

Thanx for the kind words. No, the SP part (cream coloured) is a single piece that don't include the outer fenders, they're scratched with plasticard. The forwardmost sections were a little difficult to get identical on freehand, but I think they're good enough.

Regards
/Tomas
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 - 06:16 AM UTC
Tomas,
you did a great job on the turret. The chipping paint is really nice too and gives a realistic look as it's not overdone.
How was the fit of the SP front glacis on the Tamiya kit ?
Miniam
Visit this Community
Skaraborgs, Sweden
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 - 09:19 AM UTC
Hi Olivier
The fit's fair. On my ex., to fit the fuel tanks/boxes leveled, the top plate rised a little to high, you'll se it on the sides in front of the turret. I thought the turret covered it enough to not require a rebuild. The sides needed a little bubble-filler and the splash board is a little thick but if you want to use the tamiya kit this is a relatively cheap and quick fix. I'm happy with it.

/Tomas
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 03:49 AM UTC
Thanks a lot Tomas.
 _GOTOTOP