_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M1A1 SEP
Magno81
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 - 05:09 PM UTC
I just got my Dragon 3535, and 3536...

DRAGON 3535 3536

Bare bones

Going to get started...

Got me a blade, some glue and some sand paper...

Any ideas pointers advice?

This is what im thinKING for the M1A1 AIM...

M1A1
M1A2 SEP...
Photobucket

This will be my 2nd and 3rd attempt at an Abrams build...

Just moved to Houston From Chicago...

Photobucket

any build advice would be of great help...

Magno
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
Armorama: 710 posts
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 - 05:28 PM UTC
First off welcome to a great site for help! I think that SEP you have pictured is actually a M1A1HA. It looks to have Marine markings. I may be wrong though.

I am sure Gino, Brent, Matt, Robin or one of the other Experts on here will have the correct answer. Trust what these guys have for advice!!!!

Herky
cyclones6
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,199 posts
Armorama: 821 posts
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 - 05:30 PM UTC
The bottom photo is of a marines version of the abrams (smoke dischargers and wading give it away along with counter missle thing and "training wheel" on sprocket). As far as I know the marines have not used M1A2s just M1A1s. Which would make the tank in the picture a M1A1.
Evan
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 - 05:33 PM UTC
Damn I didn't even see the Wading attachment. Guess I am getting to old.... I thought it was a black tarp!! LOL Herky
cyclones6
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 - 05:36 PM UTC
Yup it is a wading trunk attachment.
I am starting to pick up on some of this Abrams stuff. Guess thats what happens when you ask tons of questions. Now if I can just complete building one.
C Ya
Evan
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 - 05:42 PM UTC
If you really like the M1A1HA, You can get the Parts you need from The Tamiya M1A2 or just ask around on here and maybe some people have some laying around....

I know what you neam Evan. I think it may be time for another all Abrams build or maybe a group build where each person has to build a different tank.....

Herky
cyclones6
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 - 05:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you really like the M1A1HA, You can get the Parts you need from The Tamiya M1A2 or just ask around on here and maybe some people have some laying around....

I know what you neam Evan. I think it may be time for another all Abrams build or maybe a group build where each person has to build a different tank.....

Herky

Good point
I should also note that you can make an Army M1A1 out of the M1A2 SEP kit but you would have to deviate from the instructions quite a bit. You would need to get additional parts for a USMC M1A1 though.
Evan
Magno81
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 - 05:57 PM UTC
What should i do first?

Build whole, add the PE

THEN PAINT?( this part worries me the most!)
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 - 06:07 PM UTC
I would build it in sub assemblies divide it into 3 parts, 1 Lower Hull 2 Upper Hull and 3 turret. paint it in these 3 assemblies as well. Do not glue to road wheels on until after painting. The Photo etch, you can put it all on or just the large parts first and then save the smaller parts until the very end right before painting. Build the one you plan on being overall sand first, that way when you paint you can ease into the feel. Painting just takes practice. Practice on something unimportant first to get the feel then proceed to the model. Just take your time and you will have a good time.

I will post more as i think of it.

ENJOY!!!
Herky
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2009 - 01:56 AM UTC
Yes, the picture you have labeled as an M1A2 SEP is a USMC M1A1 HC tank.

Quoted Text

I should also note that you can make an Army M1A1 out of the M1A2 SEP kit but you would have to deviate from the instructions quite a bit.

Actually, you can not do it as easy as you think. The entire left rear engine deck and hull section are different on an M1A2 SEP. The SEP has the left side fuel tank replaced with a compartment for either an UAAPU (Under Armor APU - generator) or a Hawker battery storage system. The top deck and rear plate are totally different than an M1A1 AIM. The AIM parts are not in the kit either.

Also, I build the entire model, including PE, but leave the roadwheels off and paint it as a whole assembly. Then I add the roadwheels, track, tools, etc, on after it is painted.
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2009 - 02:26 AM UTC
Ahh I knew you would post here sooner or later Gino. Just a wierd question, Is an HC an HA the same or are they actually different? Was just curious.

Herky
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2009 - 03:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahh I knew you would post here sooner or later Gino. Just a wierd question, Is an HC an HA the same or are they actually different? Was just curious.

Herky

Not Gino but...

The Heavy Armor (HA) was the first version of the M1A1 with Depleted Uranium mesh armor replacing the Special armor in the turret and hull. They were built between 1989-1990 in the Detroit and Lima Tank Plants and were fielded to Army units before and after Operation Desert Storm. The USMC "rented" a battalion of M1A1HAs from the Army to equip one, possibly two of their tank battalions, 2nd Tanks and 8th Tanks(???).

The Heavy Common (HC) followed the HA series and had the modifications that the USMC specified (improved turret & hull electronics, the wading stack flange on the exhaust and some other mods that I can't seem to remember right now) incorporated into a HA tank.

One easy Identification point between the HA & HC tank is the additional antenna mast on the right rear side of the turret that is used for EPLRS radio system (Edited per Master Tanker Mike Mummey's comments below). The USMC and Army units without EPLRS have the mast capped off.

AIM tanks are M1A1s with the DU Armor and all the modifications applied to the tank, such as Blue Force Tracker systems, GPS antennas, improved intercom systems, reinforced driver's and loader's hatches, laser resistant sights and vision blocks, etc...

HTH

John
cyclones6
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2009 - 05:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, the picture you have labeled as an M1A2 SEP is a USMC M1A1 HC tank.

Quoted Text

I should also note that you can make an Army M1A1 out of the M1A2 SEP kit but you would have to deviate from the instructions quite a bit.

Actually, you can not do it as easy as you think. The entire left rear engine deck and hull section are different on an M1A2 SEP. The SEP has the left side fuel tank replaced with a compartment for either an UAAPU (Under Armor APU - generator) or a Hawker battery storage system. The top deck and rear plate are totally different than an M1A1 AIM. The AIM parts are not in the kit either.

Also, I build the entire model, including PE, but leave the roadwheels off and paint it as a whole assembly. Then I add the roadwheels, track, tools, etc, on after it is painted.

Ahh yes I totally forgot about the left rear engine deck. I am currently building an M1A1HA out of the M1A2 kit but I used the M1 Panther upper hull and added stuff (engine access hatches etc.) to put it up to modern standards. Thanks Gino.
Evan
MikeMummey
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 653 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2009 - 06:02 AM UTC
To ALCON, the EPLRS(Enhanced Position Location Reporting System) antenna base mount is on the right rear side of the turret bustle forward of the radio antenna mount. The distinguishing feature of the Jarhead M1A1 is the 8 shot M257 smoke grernade launchers on the turret sides. 0utta here, Mike sends . . .
 _GOTOTOP