_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Calling in ground support
TheGame
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 98 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 03:13 AM UTC
I've narrowed my decison down to 2 kits I want to build with aftermarket goodies added for my first attempt at being a big boy modeler

1) Academy Tiger I Early
2) Panzer IV Ausf H w/ armour skirts (suggestions on manufacturer?)

Based on your choice, what would also be your recommendations for a barrel, photo etched parts and tracks? Keep in mind, I have no clue about aftermarket manufacturers or about most aspects of life, but that's for another discussion =D

I'm currently in the "Trying to get out of credit card debt, but still using one" syndrome. So I'm looking for semi-resonable aftermarket products.

I really appreciate the advice from you guys. Thanks for any input in advance.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 396 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 03:18 AM UTC
Tamiya Pzkpfw IV Ausf. H (kit number 35209). Nice no hassle build.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 03:30 AM UTC
Go for the Tiger from Academy. You half way there with that butifull interior. A photo etch set from Eduard and an aluminium barrel from one of the many barrel manufacturers will all you probably need. Oh, maybe even a zimmert set from Calvery.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 03:35 AM UTC
Tough choice, painting dozens of little tiny roadwheels or dealing with the camouflage pattern on over leaf road wheels....I'd go with the Pz IV, I do like PE side skirts and turret armor since they look more "in scale" than the plastic ones. Aber makes them I believe.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tamiya Pzkpfw IV Ausf. H (kit number 35209). Nice no hassle build.

I agree with Bob here. I've got this mostly done with the Cavalier zimmerit. Nice easy build for sure.
tazz3
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 62 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 07:23 AM UTC
I just got the Academy Tiger I Early kit # 1386 the model looks sweet al the details and all the nice parts Academy went all out on this model its looks better then the tamiya tiger but it looks kinda hard i started to build agin so i might build another tank be fore the tiger but it looks like it goes to gether nice

KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 07:44 AM UTC
While I love the Tiger and Panzer IV from Tamiya, I guess you should also look at the offerings fromItaleri... they are about half the price of Tamiya, and with the Eduards upgrade kits, they finish out wonderfully. While Tamiya tends to have a little more detail, the Italeri engineering is solid, tight, and hasslefree. Top quality there, and the insructions are good. If you are on a tight budget, Italeri units are about $15 for the similar tank offered by Tamiya for $27-30. Now if money is no limit, then I think Academy and Tamiya do the best and most accurate "out of the box" kits. I've built both of the Italeri's and they were a lot of fun, and look GREAT when detailed. -Keith
TheGame
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 08:11 AM UTC
Thanks for the input so far :-)

I'm going to go with the Pz IV AusfH. I think it's a really cool looking tank.

I am going a little crazy though trying to figure out the aftermarket to add. Here's an example of what I have found so far:

Aber has PE detail set for $17.14, PE turret skirts for $10.40 and PE side skirts for $19.25 (from bentnotbroken web site)
Eduard has PE detail set for $12.96 (squadron.com) and PE plates for $16.96 (can't tell if it's just the hull plates or if it includes the turret plates)

I'm not having as much luck with the barrel, tracks (did see some for like $30, but hoping to find a tad cheaper than that) and something I forgot I'll want...transfers (preferably dry)

And another question. I noticed some of those companies sell PE grill sets. Is this not included in the basic PE detail set or are grills sold seperately for certain models?

Last question for now I promise, haha. Does the PE kit come with any kind of instructions? Or do I have to guess what goes where?

I have a feeling this project is going to take me quite a while. Luckily I'm in between girlfriends atm and have some free time =D
TheGame
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 09:22 AM UTC
Asking for opinions now on which to go with for my Pz IV Ausf H early:

Tracks: Fruilmodel or Model Kasten

PE: Aber or Eduard

Barrels: Jordi Rubio or Elefant

Dry Transfer Decal: Archer or ?

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 09:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Asking for opinions now on which to go with for my Pz IV Ausf H early:

Tracks: Fruilmodel or Model Kasten

PE: Aber or Eduard

Barrels: Jordi Rubio or Elefant

Dry Transfer Decal: Archer or ?

IMHO...

Tracks: Fruilmodelisomo

PE: Eduard (actually, either)

Barrels: Barrel Depot (Actually, there's a new barrel manufacturer out that 'rifles' the
end of their barrels, I just can remember the name

Dry Transfer: Archer

Tread.
 _GOTOTOP