Hosted by Darren Baker
"Tiger in the Dust" WIP
JeepLC
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 510 posts
Armorama: 469 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 05:30 AM UTC
Hey all, this is my work so far. The KT is an old Tamiya offering. The Sherman is from Dragon. The figures are a combination of two Dragon kits and I am going to add more to the pile! The basic story (fictional) is that the KT was ambushed by AT infantry and the tank. In an attempt to leave the kill-zone the driver backed the beast into the side of the house. It is based (roughly) on some real events that occured in Stavelot with a real KT. In that story the Tiger was hit by AT shells from a concealed position up and around a corner on Rue Haute I believe. Thanks for looking, and mind you this is a BIG WIP. I still have a ton to do and any suggestions will more than help me through it! Also, I appologize up-front for the photo quality. I am no photographer !

Overall layout:

From the back:

My Venerable Workstation:

KT:

Sherman:

Figures thus far:

Thanks again for looking!
-Mike
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 11:32 AM UTC
Looking like a good start. The AFVs are nice.
The windows on the building look to be a bit small. The proporations look a bit 'off'. Maybe some arcitectural details can fill the bill.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 12:17 PM UTC
Hi

I recently read a story by somebody who either his late father or uncle was involved in this Tiger demise. He was hiding in various locations in the town directing artillery fire at the German positions and was actually in the house the Tiger backed into. The driver was backing up after coming under fire with the commander realising they were in a vulnerable position but lost control and went into the house. It collapsed and the tiger was stuck with the American soldier would been directing the fire buried in the rubble. He was dug out by his comrades and was decorated for his bravery.

I'm really annoyed because I only read the account the other day and can't remember on which site

Great account and the person was justifiably proud.
JeepLC
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 12:46 PM UTC
Hey, thanks for the replies.
Scott- I agree with the windows. The smaller ones are 1x1" square and the others are 3/4x11/4" rectangular. I have followed some of your builds; would you have a idea for better scaling? I simply eye-balled it with a couple of figures I have and matched it with some of the windows in my own home (at least the rectangular ones!). And I still have quite a bit to do with the AFVs and figures of course. Neither are fully assembled or painted. The KT has been somewhat of a proving ground for me. It is the first use of oil washing, pigments, etc... I am planing on adding brick fronts to both houses and possibly wooden structuring to the one on the right. Thanks for the input though!

Alan- Great story! I have read a couple of accounts of this and other actions in the Ardennes region, but I have never come across that one! Sounds like that soldier had some brass if you catch my drift. My great uncle served with the 84th infantry there. He actually visited some of the KTs involved and took pictures! But sadly, his son is in possesion of them and no one has talked to or seen him in years. If you can track that down i would be very much appreciative. Thanks!

-Mike
tankman08
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 157 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 09:17 PM UTC
Hey Mike, looking good so far,

There cant be many who have a K98 next to their workstation.. cool
smitsan
Visit this Community
Latvia
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 10:08 PM UTC
Very nice diorama. http://put.url.here
JeepLC
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 - 02:14 AM UTC
Paul, Smitsan, thanks guys. Much appreciated. Paul, I didn't even notice that in the pic until you pointed it out. It is one of a few things that have been gathered as souvenirs by family members over the years. I, oddly enough, have never bought a thing when it comes to militaria. I am 20 and it seems that anything old or military related possesions my family has drops into my lap from time to time. The Kar and Nagant next to it both came from my great uncle forementioned above. He was kind enough to give them to me as gifts a few years ago. He picked up both in 1944 and 1945. The Kar in the Bulge and the Nagant along the Rhine (apparently from a German who was using it!)

-Mike
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 - 09:33 AM UTC
Hi Mike!

Nice Idea you got there! Will you fill in the buildings? That looks like a lot of space to fill... Maybe you can reduce the size in the back by a few inches and just have the front walls left?

A small detail I noticed: I don't think the inside of the M4A3's commander hatch would be white, but rather olive drab since it is often open and would be too well visible in white.

Continue the great work and keep us posted!

Cheers!
Stef

JeepLC
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 - 11:54 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply Stefan. I would tend to agree with you on the hatch, but people here have said the inside is white? I don't know the reality to be honest. I think I am going to bite the bullet and paint it green. I don't like the way it looks in white anyway. I will be filling in the houses with floors, rumble, and some infantry. I might add in some verlinded KIA germans and prisoners if I can get my hands on them. Thanks for the input!

-Mike
surfboard66
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 58 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 - 01:42 PM UTC
Its looks amazing. Is the King Tiger from Tamiya?
Wisham
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 - 01:48 PM UTC
This should be a great build, I like the Tiger II coming through the bldg. It would be quite the fight between these two long gun giants. . I would hate to be a grunt around them.
JeepLC
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 - 05:20 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys. Warren, I definately agree to say the least!

Quick, rather small update. I began assembling the DML smart tracks... (more like insanity, want to bash head against something tracks). I also began the brickwork on the front of building #2. I spent most of the day cleaning up my work area and adding some "upgrades" (cork tops and some paint to the table... basically I was borned). Anyway. Here goes:

The glue was still wet when I took the pick so the crooked ones have since been fixed. I reckon I will get the front cork done by tomorrow along with the drywall plaster to fill in as the grout. Then I will get to the window frames and door. Next I will begin building the floors to go inside.

Thanks again!
-Mike
 _GOTOTOP