_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
New BR86 Loco from Trumpeter
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 - 11:35 AM UTC
Trumpeter have just sent us Images of their new 1/35 scale model train loco.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 - 01:40 PM UTC
It looks a nice build Pat, but the front and rear wheels apear to be too high for the tracks. If this is the case and Trumpeter cannot get them to contact what hopes do we have.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 - 04:52 PM UTC
BUT, BUT, BUT....I have not finished the BR 52 YET ! Great Observation CMOT, We can hope they correct this. Thanks for the Heads Up on this kit, should be a challenging build.
milvehfan
jargonking
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 269 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 - 10:25 PM UTC
It looks to me like the base is in twist as opposed to the wheels which is why they don't make contact at opposite corners.
mag135
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / España
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 128 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 01:19 AM UTC
Nice kit. About the wheels, I think the base is severely distorted so they can not contact correctly.
Regards
Javier
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 02:20 AM UTC
Looking at the rails they do appear to be not level with each side. Other than that, it's a nice looking loco!
Finch
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 411 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 03:40 AM UTC
I just built their WR 360 diesel loco a few months ago, and that had a similar, though not as severe, problem. The WR 360 only has a total of six wheels and I could not get all six to touch the tracks without pursuasion. I noticed during assembly that the chassis had sloppy alignment.

Despite that I REALLY enjoyed that kit, and I look forward to the BR 86 too. I hope some attention to this potential problem during chassis assembly should make for an acceptable fit.

Anyone know much about their paint schemes? I'm not loving that red-and-grey scheme....

bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 04:29 AM UTC
TWO locos but so far no cars for carrying Panthers or Tigers....

Tank Workshop still rules on this one....
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 05:22 AM UTC
According to their catalogue they do have a flatbed railcar in the making. But they chose to release the ones with the wooden sides first.

http://www.trumpeter-china.com/war513/products/en_message.asp?id=752

Hisham
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 05:51 AM UTC
Hisham, that's the light flatcar that will not handle either a Panther or Tiger.

We need a styrene Schwere Plattformwagen Type SSyms 60 ton or 80 ton.

BTW, TWS's designation for the lightweigth flatcar (Licht Flachenwagon 50ton) is bogus German and spelled incorrectly: "Licht" means a source of illumination, not a measure of weight, and "Wagen" is spelled with an "e" and not an "o."

The true designation should be "Leichter Flachwagen."
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 06:22 AM UTC
Ooooops... there goes my ignorance again

Hisham
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 06:52 AM UTC
No problem, man. I have been hoping for styrene cars since Dragon's went OOP. The TWS cars are great, but the price is a killer.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 07:30 AM UTC
Dragon's cars were re-released for a limited time about a year ago and I got me two of them for $30 each from Hobbyeasy. Now, I don't know what to do with them. Would they fit with one of Trumpeter's locomotives and Trumpeter's tracks? I'd prefer not to use them as stand-alone.

Hisham
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 07:41 AM UTC
A SHORTIE !!!! Is this one of the ones that had the "built in" tender? Glad to see Trumpeter is planning some rolling stock finally. I was lucky way back when to have gotten one of the Dragon SYSS and 2 OMMR kits. Got them off of Ebay for around $20 a pop. I see now they command a premium.
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 1,289 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 08:11 AM UTC
A nice short beauty! Perhaps, I will buy / build one.
For this vehicle, I would (try to) build a small diorama.

Soeren

Edit:
- (Licht Flachenwagon 50ton) is bogus German and spelled incorrectly: "Licht" means a source of illumination, not a measure of weight, and "Wagen" is spelled with an "e" and not an "o." -

I would translate this into: "Leichter Flachwagen 50 Tonnen"
"Licht" is translated into "light" (illiumination) or... light (a light weight; not heavy).
The "e" in Wagen is spoken like an english "a". Like, "cat" (pet, animal) or "may" (the month).

perhaps this helps ;-)
Occam
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 190 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 01:02 PM UTC
@ Hisham: Yes, the cars from Dragon fit well on Trumpeters tracks, and the coupling works fine as well.

I'm really looking forward to this locomotive, but I sure hope it's more true to the prototype than Trumpeter high-sided car, which seem to be either a French or Italian car with wrong markings.
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
KitMaker: 952 posts
Armorama: 834 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 01:48 PM UTC
Well, something I´d like to say.
Very exact copy of CMK kit, now in styrene. Unfortunately the same like BR 52 a few years ago, exact copy with all the mistakes made by CMK on the kit before Even the same number 86 245 I´d really like to know, what reference Trumpeter used for their kit, if any
A bit of history:

The work on 86 245 started at very end of 1935, and the finished loco (serial number 3291) left the Schichau-Werke factory 10.3.1936. So I´d say that 86 245 in red and black painting scheme from 1935 year mentioned in CMK instructions is I would doubt the red wheels anyway. The loco went in Schwerin and Rostock direction to start its duty. After the end of the WWII, BR 86 245 was taken by Soviet block within the scope of the war compensations, and it held its duty in Eastern Germany DDR in Augsburg area. 19.2.1980 the BR 86 245 was sold to Wustermark as a heating loco. Probably in 1985 it finished its life at loco cemetery in Berlin.
Trumpeter´s kit is very, very simplified the same way like the CMK´s one was, many parts just missing or even wrong. Since 1934 most manufacturers started with double body compressors, the chassis were improved and that changed the length of the main connecting rods. Also new steam injector came out, free axles were changed and many more, but this is mostly about parts missing in the kit anyway. There is improved steam cylinder used on the kit, but still old single compressor. BR 86 245 had double one mounted on from manufacturer. There is much more, I could say, but this is enough, I think. Most guys will be happy with the kit anyway, and anyone else like me can change the kit or scratch build missing parts, whatever. I definitely expected much more, well, just another wasted potential

To Bill and others, what I know, highly detailed mentioned wagons are coming, in resin, but finely undertaken and on good price, and there will be some really good locomotives as well.

I have almost forgoten, if anyone want to see, what the BR 86 245 was like

Cheers
Libor
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 02:08 PM UTC
Just one more thing about building, the small wheels are mounted on free axles, which can be left free on their pins, so the wheels will sit down on the tracks without problem.
Occam, wagons like Trumpeter´s gondola were common in Germany at the end of 19th and the begin of 20th century, well, with different buffers and without air brake system, but these were improved and added after WWI. I do not know, why Trumpeter used in kit the wagon with air brake system (that decals say), but left out the brake and everything except hoses, well, maybe they did not have enough "references". I built mine a few weeks ago, and it looks all right with Kunze- Knorr brake, what I did scratch build for it.
Libor
Occam
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 02:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Occam, wagons like Trumpeter´s gondola were common in Germany at the end of 19th and the begin of 20th century, well, with different buffers and without air brake system, but these were improved and added after WWI.

I've been trying for some time now on various model railroading forums to find out which type of car Trumpeters gondola is. The markings say it's a type Hannover, but that's a completely different type of car. In addition, I've never seen a DR car with a four-digit number, only five digits. The wheel bearings also look very un-German-like.

While the locomotives from Trumpeter seem to be pretty true to the originals, which a few odd choices for the BR52, I'm beginning to fear that the high- and lowsided cars might be works of fiction, without base in reality :-(

I do hope someone can prove me wrong, though.... :-)

You can read more here, about a third down the page.
http://www.panzer-modell.de/ausgepackt/08.html

muldiantoro
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 05:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hisham, that's the light flatcar that will not handle either a Panther or Tiger.

We need a styrene Schwere Plattformwagen Type SSyms 60 ton or 80 ton.

BTW, TWS's designation for the lightweigth flatcar (Licht Flachenwagon 50ton) is bogus German and spelled incorrectly: "Licht" means a source of illumination, not a measure of weight, and "Wagen" is spelled with an "e" and not an "o."

The true designation should be "Leichte Flachwagen."

Beside TWS, there are several companies who make 6 axle Flatbed Type SSyms:

ATAK Model http://atakmodel.istore.pl/sklep,4009,,,03,,en-usd,604086,0.html
Azimut/ Ironside http://www.phpshopxml.com/azimut.shop/CID/8b6a94a18fa24334a6c75f9c7c72fdbc/function/itemPageDisplay/shopItemCode/IRE35012
Atalier Infinite http://www.hlj.com/product/AIF35-0012

I bought the Ironside becouse it's the cheapest but slightly different model, without the handrail.

Cheers.
grave_digger
Visit this Community
Clare, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 09:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been trying for some time now on various model railroading forums to find out which type of car Trumpeters gondola is. The markings say it's a type Hannover, but that's a completely different type of car. In addition, I've never seen a DR car with a four-digit number, only five digits. The wheel bearings also look very un-German-like.

While the locomotives from Trumpeter seem to be pretty true to the originals, which a few odd choices for the BR52, I'm beginning to fear that the high- and lowsided cars might be works of fiction, without base in reality :-(

Occam, maybe this gondola is more true to the original than any loco they have ever made. Once again, these and similar cars were very common in 1870 - 1920 in privat railways in Germany and still in use later, just improved in time. Bearings used here were ordinary ones, the same hooks. Four digit numbers were in use that time as well, but not later by Deutsche reichsbahn. This can be a mistake made by Trumpeter, but also there is a possibility, that such a car with similar number could exist, forgoten somewhere, as I have many references available with funny stuff, cars with Polish or Russia markings with DR added , when overtaken by Germany, and so on. Marking does not say, that car was type Hannover, but it does say, that this car had a home station there, you know.
In railway model forums you can hardly find someone deeply interested in epoche I. With many more I have also book with all the wagons built in Germany before1945, so I know exactly what I am talking about. Small example here, E serie gutterwagen. Over 375 of these built in 1875 and later, over 150 still in use after 1918. Similar construction, the same bearings, 4 digits number
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Armorama: 712 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2009 - 09:57 PM UTC
I have built both the BR52 and the WR 360 from Trumpeter and have no problem getting wheels to touch tracks. It would appear the back wheels in the photo are not touching because there is no track there to touch...

bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2009 - 07:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Azimut/ Ironside http://www.phpshopxml.com/azimut.shop/CID/8b6a94a18fa24334a6c75f9c7c72fdbc/function/itemPageDisplay/shopItemCode/IRE35012

I bought the Ironside becouse it's the cheapest but slightly different model, without the handrail.

Cheers.

Anyone importing these to the States?
Occam
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 - 12:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Occam, maybe this gondola is more true to the original than any loco they have ever made.

I hope so, I'm just curious to which car Trumpeter has chosen to model.
It is quite possible that it is a non-German car, but the fact that they're releasing a similar car with low sides makes me suspect that it might be a fantasy car. I'll keep looking for references for the original car.

The car from the Royal Bavarian Railways is a good bid, but the dimensions are rather off, and the fact that they used four-digit numbers pre-1920 doesn't really say anything.

I'll start a new thread when I find out more about the original and with some pictures from my construction of the, still, very nice model.
muldiantoro
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 30, 2009 - 03:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers.

Anyone importing these to the States?

I saw once the Ironside on Great Models Webstore.
 _GOTOTOP