_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
uniform colour
ACHTUNG
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 266 posts
Armorama: 187 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 12:40 AM UTC
hi guys...
im just wondering about ..what colour is used for germany army in africa?
can i use field gray ? and is the colour for the armour must be dark yellow ? can i use gernany grey ?
thks guys
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 01:10 AM UTC
I have used Dark Yellow by Tamiya for armor and for the shorts/short sleeve shirt uniforms.

here is a site that has a bunch of DAK stuff and you maybe able to 'guestimate' a color. Pretty much BW photos. But you get side by side comparisons of British Kachi and German uniforms.

http://homepages.win.co.nz/bphprint/index.html
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 01:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

and is the colour for the armour must be dark yellow ? can i use gernany grey ?
thks guys

The equipment for the DAK was repainted dark yellow to match the terrain. You could get by with dark gray at a suppply depot, but in the field a dark gray tank would be a most tempting target. If you want to maintain accuracy, you really should keep DAK vehicles dark yellow.
laurie
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 217 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 03:07 AM UTC
hi, they color was Dark Yellow, XF 60 from Tamiya

Laurie
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 08:29 AM UTC
Hi Achtung - the first two pic's are Wehrmacht Heer uniforms of the DAK. The second pic is what a uniform would have looked with considerable wear and tear and and also becoming very bleached from the scorching desert sun. ... ( See #3 photo below for armor reference )

The first panzers & other armored vehicles to arrive at Libya / N.Arfrica from Europe in 1941were all painted in a base coat of DUNKELGRAU RAL 7021 ( dark grey / panzer grey ). There were quite a few that went into battle with this color, because of their rapid deployment from Europe to N. Africa. But because of the desert landscape / terrain / enviroment, this color needed to be changed. Actually, it was BRAUN RAL 8020 (brown, but really looked like sand ) that was painted directly over the dunkelgrau base of DAK armor. This base color was used right up until the "general order " was passed in 1943 to change over to DUNKELGELB RAL 7028. Also seen were patches or wavy lines of OLIVGRUN RAL 6003 ( oilve-green ) over the BRAUN base. ( The pic of the German motorcycle & sidecar is very, very, very close ... if not identical to the color of BRAUN used on DAK armor. ......................And does in fact differ from DUNKELGELB as you can literally see in these examples below. ( according to Tom Jentz, no authentic German color swatches exist from WW2, but these are close and at least give us a general idea in color and variation from color to color ).

Dunkelgelb RAL 7028

2 Color Camo Scheme OLIVGRUN RAL 6003 over Braun RAL 8020

- ralph
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 03:48 PM UTC
I use a dark Khaki (acrylic) with a bit of mustard yellow for the base (about a 60-40 ratio), and then come back and highlight by adding cream (not white!) to this to create fades and highlights. Also be aware that most of the straps were dark brown to medium brown as opposed to the dark charcoal and black used in Western Europe.
 _GOTOTOP