Hosted by Darren Baker
Sneak peek, what do you think.....
c_benshoof
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 09:01 PM UTC
Here is a sneek peek of one of my new products I am working on. This is going to be a part of a diorama kit for beginner. it will have a second wall along with sidewalk sections, cobble stone roadway, rubble and a few more exteras.

Let me know what you think!

c_benshoof
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 09:05 PM UTC

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 09:09 PM UTC
Excellent looking wall, I like the sills.

Al
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 11:32 PM UTC
Looks good, Chris, allthough I think the wall and the stones have a very rough structure. Is it possible to even that out a bit?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2009 - 12:39 AM UTC
Nicely constructed, scale is good, composition is good. What about the side part/frame of the windows? What's the plan there?
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2009 - 12:47 AM UTC
Very nice. Love the rough bricks - reminds me of some of the older clay bricks found in southern Africa.

What's the scale?

Rudi

p.s. who's that figure by?
c_benshoof
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2009 - 06:32 AM UTC
thanks for the good feedback guys! Yes the surface is a little rough, this casting was a reject because of this. just wanted to paint it up to show you guys that im working on getting some kits out. I will post a picture of a sidewalk section that is cast and passed the quality control....well almost, there was one tiny air bubble......

Scott, the side peice will make up a corner building, it wont be all that large, making it a good project for a beginner. Im working on ideas to produce window frames and hopefully will be included in the kit. Or they will be an add on.

Rudi, the scale is 1/35, and the figure is a Verlinden from "the grunts' vietnam" set.I beleive its set number 532. Not the best as far as timeline and the wall, but thats the one I had for the photo shoot...lol.

I still need to add the grout lines, just waiting for the washes to dry completely.

Thanks for lookin!
c_benshoof
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2009 - 07:28 AM UTC
Here are a couple of pic of the sidewalk sections I was refering to. Thiss casting has alot better finish as the stone and brick have a smoother texture. Again the wall is a little rough because of a bad cast. the final wall will be much smoother like the sidewalk.

silentsteel
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Armorama: 143 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2009 - 07:45 AM UTC
I like that wall............. the roughness gives the wall a well worn look and makes it look like it's a very old and used.

Great Work.......
Mike
Longlance
Visit this Community
Galway, Ireland
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 87 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 10:41 AM UTC
Hi chris , what make is the figure you used 2 display your wall ?
c_benshoof
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 11:16 AM UTC
Shane, the figure is a Verlinden from "the grunts' vietnam" set.I beleive its set number 532.
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 933 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 11:11 PM UTC
Great work Chris!

I love the sidewalk also.

Forgive me if you've already said but will these be cast in resin?
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 02:36 AM UTC
Looks like a lot of the brick on my house and it's 116 yrs. old. Real good job on the texture. Now for some moss and ferns around the base, a figure or two, oh, and I'll add a ...
c_benshoof
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 03:18 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys!

Jon, this will be cast in a high quality plaster. It is much stronger than plaster of paris, yet still easy to add extra detail to by scribing.

Thanks bob! Ive tried to texture the brick to look old, even in the 40's most of the buildings were still old, built around the 1900's or before. while the final castings will be a little smoother than the one pictured, it will still have a well worn look.
Longlance
Visit this Community
Galway, Ireland
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 87 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 08:48 AM UTC
thanks for that chris, your wall and side way sections are quite impressive

good work
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 08:56 AM UTC
Nice work Chris. What do you make your masters from?
c_benshoof
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 05:24 PM UTC
Pat, I pour plaster "blanks" and before the plaster is set up I scribe in the detail. Since the plaster is not set and still moist it does not chip when scribed. You dont have much time to work with it in this stage of drying, so planing is a must! I use gesso and stiple the texture onto the brick surface. In some cases I can use fine sand to add texture, such as stuco walls. For the bricks I use a stamp made from brass rod and "print" the brick into the soft plaster.

Hope this answers your question!
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 09:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hope this answers your question!

Yes it certainly does Chris, I've done a lot of scribing on dry plaster and have used a stamp on clay and plasticene into which I've poured plaster but never thought to use a stamp on damp plaster. Must try it, thanks
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2009 - 01:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Let me know what you think!

Hi Chris. Hope this new venture goes well for you.
You´ve said that this piece is aimed at beginners. Indeed it look simple and should do the job. I always see "simple" pieces like this ... and think ... this is so simple I could do it myself, and save the money for something that might be harder to do myself.
Its my belief that just because its for beginners, doesn´t mean it should be void of detail/architecture/style. The brick work does look good ... well defined and should be fun to paint. But If Im going to pay out money, I want something with a little more character. Eventhough its for a beginner .. it could/should still have somehting that makes the piece stand out and give your piece a headstart over similar items on the market.
The big advantage of this is, that it wont be only beginners buying it ... even more experienced modellers will be interested ... if nothing else, to save time.
Just some food for thought.
c_benshoof
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2009 - 02:38 AM UTC
Pat, glad it helped you out! You have to be gental with the plaster when scribing it in the half dry stage, too much preassure and the brick you are stamping could pop off. However sometimes you can plan on doing this to add interest to your wall. It just takes practice!

Frank, Thank you for your feedback, and I agree! This is just part of the whole kit, the first wall. The kit will be an actual small street with sidewalk coble street, rubble, and base. Although it is a smaller peice, it is designed to allow a beginner to practice all the skills in building a diorama, from glueing up the walls to building up realistic looking rubble, painting, weathering, and finishing. It is one that will make them see the joy of building a diorama and not the frustration of trying to big of a diorama for the first one.

We have all told beginners to start small, this will help them do that and learn the skills it takes to make diorama that looks great.
Most of my kits are larger, more for the dio maker that is interested in making a diorama that includes armor and the like. I just felt it would be nice to have something aimed at the beginner, have them build this kit, see how fun it is and then get one of the "big boys".
c_benshoof
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2009 - 03:01 AM UTC
Frank, and anyone else for that matter --

This company is about YOU, not about me. I love to hear suggestions about how YOU as a modeler want to see things. What I want is not important in a business, building a good customer base and having them happy is what matters! Im not here to get rich, I want to SAVE you money. If I make money along the way, I wont complain.....we all want to make money! But this is not my main goal of starting In Scale Productions, I want everyone to be able to afford quality products, and not have to give away all their hard earned cash to get it! I work a "normal" job too, I know how hard it is to make the money to get the things you want / need, beleive me I work my butt off doing 50 - 60 hours a week at my "normal" job.

With that said, what would you like to see for products? As for the beginner line, what type of building would be nice to have, being simple yet have architecture that stands out? I dont mind making a complete line of beginner buildings, even offer the buildings outside of the set.

So I leave it in your hands....Tell me what You as the customer want, and I will try to produce it for you!

Thanks everyone!

_GOTOTOP