_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
British White Scout Car - DOUBTS !
Rogerio77
Visit this Community
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 12:40 AM UTC
Hi guys,
After finished my Dingo i started a White car. I will use Revell (ex Italeri, Zvezda, ....) and the Eduard photo etches:

Iīve started it without problems and itīs very fun to build:

Now my doubts:
1) By first i want to assemble an ambulance version thar apears at drawings of this book:

But the only image of the ambulance interior that i have is this:

I canīt build this one because i dont have details to do the conversion... I canīt know how is the interior with precision, like the position of the seats and how they fix the stretcher in place...

After this i decide to make it a normal one, with camo. like these of Bison Decals:

Now the question is:
These White Cars had the interior in Olive drab or sand ? They came from America in olive drab and were repainted by the inside at UK ?
This canadian has, clearly, the inside door in sand:

CAN YOU HELP ME FELLOWS ? PLEASE ?

p.s.: i still want to do the ambulance.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 06:58 AM UTC
Hi Rogerio,

Sorry can't help on the medical layout, but thank you for the pics. If I find anything that can help I'll post it up.

Al
Rogerio77
Visit this Community
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 10:26 AM UTC
OK Alan, and what do you think about the interior color of the sand camouflaged Whites ? Theyīre in OIive drab or sand ?
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 10:49 AM UTC
Hi Rogerio,

As far as I know, NWE vehicles would have been OD inside and out. Vehicles that were destined for the desert would have been painted in basic desert colour before shipment which I believe was the rule. However, vehicles that got diverted, reasigned would have been painted on arrival, so you do see examples of OD inside and desert colours outside

Light Stone and Blue black were common, White Ensigns do a good match for both but they are enamels not water based.

If you can't find any more info on the ambulance version I have a diagram of the internal fittings when used a s a radio vehicle.

Al

Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 580 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 - 10:15 PM UTC
Hi Rogerio,

M3A1 halftrack ambulances always seem to have a canvas cover in place. That is not a rule, just an observation. You could circumvent the problem with your scout car by fudging an interior and putting a cover on.

"Beth" appears in Armor Camouflage & Markings of the 2nd New Zealand Division, Part 1 by Jeffrey Plowman, page 26. The photo was taken at ground level, 3/4 front view, and does not provide any indication of the interior color. Alan provides good advice on the subject. Standing orders were for all visible interior surfaces to wear the major exterior color. Exceptions happened. I thought maybe the NZ universal carriers would offer insight on the issue, but I cannot find a single good interior shot of those, either!

Hi Alan,

For about a month now, Mike Starmer has ben posting Tamiya paint formulations for Commonwealth vehicle colors on Missing-Lynx. He is slowly working his way through every color used in WWII. If you prefer acrylics, I recommend taking a look.

-Doug
Rogerio77
Visit this Community
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 02:49 AM UTC
Thanks for the help fellows, in fact iīve think to use the canvas cover, but to me the biggest fun in build jeeps, trucks and scout cars is the assemble of itīs interior ! And the Eduard etch gives a lot of detais at the interior ! So i quit to dont show the inner parts.
In fact i only use enamel paints, i really likes Model Masters and Humbrol, but thanks again.
At this moment i am working at the etches of the interior of the White, i will post some pictures soon.
Thank you all.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 05:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a diagram of the internal fittings when used a s a radio vehicle.

Al, I'd be very interested in the diagram! I have two m3A1s to do, one of which is to be a radio car based on pics of a restored vehicle featured in CMV a few months back. Could I be so bold as to ask if there is any chance of posting it here as an image, or PMing it?

Thanks in anticipation,

Tom

PS: Rogerio, if you really want to do the ambulance, try contacting the researchers at the Tank Museum (in Bovington, UK - they have a website). I have used them for details in the past - they have all sorts of tech manuals and a wealth of photos to draw upon.
Rogerio77
Visit this Community
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 05:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

PS: Rogerio, if you really want to do the ambulance, try contacting the researchers at the Tank Museum (in Bovington, UK - they have a website). I have used them for details in the past - they have all sorts of tech manuals and a wealth of photos to draw upon.

I will try, thanks for the information !

Rogerio
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 06:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I have a diagram of the internal fittings when used a s a radio vehicle.

Al, I'd be very interested in the diagram! I have two m3A1s to do, one of which is to be a radio car based on pics of a restored vehicle featured in CMV a few months back. Could I be so bold as to ask if there is any chance of posting it here as an image, or PMing it?

Thanks in anticipation,

Tom

Hi Tom

Here you go:

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 10:34 AM UTC
Hi Tom,

thanks to Kevin T another one you might find useful>

Al
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 11:50 PM UTC
Alan,

Many thanks!

Tom
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 01:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Tom,

thanks to Kevin T another one you might find useful>

Al

Alan,

I don't think this is an M3 Scout car. The vehicle sides are horizontal, not sloped to the rear. I _think_ this is a C15TA Armoured Truck wireless or signals version.

Paul
Rogerio77
Visit this Community
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2009 - 03:16 PM UTC
In fact the idea of a radio version itīs good, but i have my decision: i will do a camouflaged vesion, in fact one of the new zealanders of the ilustrations above.
Last week my efforts were all at the interior of the White, and i had finish the aplication of Eduard photo etches at this part of the car. See how it looks today:

The only problem i have now is that i canīt find the picture of the new zealand White called "Beth", and i think i will do it...
Thanks for the help fellows
panzerserra
Visit this Community
Goias, Brazil
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 688 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 10:02 PM UTC
Rogerio...

Your M3 White of New Zealand will be a "chuchu" as we speak in Brazil ...

Look at this illustration:

Do the worms writhe is the belly!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 04:26 AM UTC
Hi Paul,

You may well be right on the picture, Kevin T asked me to post it up but I think that was more fore the radio layout..

Al
 _GOTOTOP