grandad43
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 07:11 AM UTC
I am trying something that I have never tried before
we lve in the country and we have a washed out drive way
while feeding the rabbit I had to cross the drive way and looking down I spotted a line fo small pebbles that looked like rock wall
instantly a light came on in my feeble brain
so going to my shed I found a seris of ever increasing sized screening
then I started sreening the rocks through the screens and invairably had small containers holding different sixed peebles fron sand to marble sized
then I began collecting the materral for the wall building ,wax paper, quarter inch wookmsquare rods, a large jat of white elmers glue all, a ppaint brusha small bulletin board

the building of the wall

taking two rods I placed them on the wax paper in an "L"
shape then I took a large amount of mid sized peebles in the l shaped square and began to shake the peebles down to the rods corner until I was pleased with the way the rocks fitted together when I was satisfied I began to pore the glue on the rocks ccovering all the joins
and over the wet glue I pored sand in all the cacks then I let the wall sit for 24 hours and 72 hours for a very firm product was aqyuired
yiola a rock wall

Larry
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 06:22 PM UTC
you probably wanted to include some photos here ?

Claude
grandad43
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 01:45 PM UTC

i will try o take a better photo tomorrow
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 08:49 PM UTC
Interesting technique Larry. If you wanted to take it a step further you could make a latex mould and do casts in plaster.

I think the general rule with natural stone walls is that the bigger stones get used at the bottom and stones are usually placed so the the long face is horizontal.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 02:31 AM UTC
Larry, Pat is correct in his discription fpr stone work. You can use your method, just place larger and horozontaly on the bottom. Try to build upwards like a brick layer. I do like the look and will try this method in the future as I build a lot of partial builgings for vingets. By the way, did package # 2 make it? Hope your project with the kids is at a full tilt boggy.
grandad43
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 12:08 PM UTC
got the package Bob
sorry but I did the cycle myself
I couldn't resist since I use to own a bicykle seat low rider wwII vintage motorcycle did a great job on it too but turned it into an American bike
Larry
 _GOTOTOP