_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Friulmodel vs. Modelkasten
puyallup7400
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 62 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 07:03 PM UTC
Opinions on which is a better a ‘bang’ for your buck. I know it’s plastic vs. metal. I’ve done Friulmodel in the tab days and never dealt with Modelkasten before. Now with the wire pins and hearing about clearing the holes, I’m leery of them. Does the hole need to be cleaned/reamed or actually drilled out? (help salt6?)

Thanks,

Dave
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 - 10:12 PM UTC
I find that both Modelkasten and Friulmodel tracks have their merrits, but I prefer Friulmodel tracks over Modelkasten anyday.

With the pinning method, you should drill out the holes, but it isn't as hard as it may sound. The holes are already there and you just need to quickly pass a small drill bit through to clear any obstructions. I can clean every link provided in a set of tracks in less than a half hour.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 11:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I find that both Modelkasten and Friulmodel tracks have their merrits, but I prefer Friulmodel tracks over Modelkasten anyday.

With the pinning method, you should drill out the holes, but it isn't as hard as it may sound. The holes are already there and you just need to quickly pass a small drill bit through to clear any obstructions. I can clean every link provided in a set of tracks in less than a half hour.

The one and only set of Frus I've done are a ditto of the above.

I would assemble two links then pass a drill through. This did two things, 1 clean up the holes, and 2 line up the links. Some of the links did have molding flaws but I had more than enough extras. I like them over the plastic links I've done.

http://www.salt6.addr.com/stuff/sws002.jpg

Aitch
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 138 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2002 - 04:31 AM UTC
I've used tab Fruils (in the past) hole Fruils (finished a set two months ago) and the plastic Kasten tracks. It really is a matter of preference but...
The holed Fruils are easier to assemble than the tabs (they stay built and don't pop open) and the metal looks good and sags correctly.
As for the Kasten they don't sag, but can be fixed with ordinary glues that you'd find already on the model table.
The other main difference is cost. Here in the UK the Fruil tracks cost around £10 GBP more than the Kasten. Looking at my kit accessory stack I have slightly more Kasten than new (holed) Fruil. Guess that says something eh?
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2002 - 07:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The other main difference is cost. Here in the UK the Fruil tracks cost around £10 GBP more than the Kasten. Looking at my kit accessory stack I have slightly more Kasten than new (holed) Fruil. Guess that says something eh?

I definately agree that cost plays a part in the decision on which tracks to use. In the US, Friulmodel tracks are typically $30 (although you can find them for less if you look) while Modelkasten ranges from $30 - $35 (once again they can be found for less). With the price being the same for both I definately choose Friulmodel, but if Friulmodel cost £10 GBP more, I would almost certainly go with Modelkasten more frequently. The only time I think that I would splurge would be for small tracks such as tracks for the T-26, Panzer I, etc. I find Friulmodel tracks worlds easier to work with on small scale tracks.

HTH
puyallup7400
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 62 posts
Posted: Friday, May 03, 2002 - 07:32 PM UTC
Thanks for the input!!!

Now I have find something to put a set of Friuls on

Picked up MK Edition's RSO book at IPMS Seattle. Maybe do a RS 1500 Waldschlepper.

Thanks again.

Dave
 _GOTOTOP