_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M24 CHAFFEE
GREENJACKET
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 12:18 PM UTC
Hi chaps
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but did any of the M24 Chafee tanks arrive in time with british units to see action before the end of WW2. I know that the Irish Hussars had some but don't know of any other units,or use before the wars end.
Thanks for any help;
Matt Edwards
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 01:20 PM UTC
Hey Matt,
IIRC, it seems to me that the M-24's issued to the British arrived very late in the European theaters and were mainly used by constabulary units.
I'll take a look at the "U.S. Light Tanks " book by Hunnicutt that I have at home and confirm that for you later today.
Cheers

jjumbo
GREENJACKET
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2009 - 07:38 AM UTC
Thanks mate.
Matt
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2009 - 08:43 AM UTC
Hi Matt. According to the Osprey New Vanguard book, Britain ordered 842 but received only 203 in ´44 and 99 in ´45. They were deployed in small numbers in April ´45 replacing stuart light tanks in the last few weeks of the war. The reconnaissance squadrons of the 5th Inniskilling Dragoon Guards the 8th Hussars (7th armoured division) are the only two groups mentioned who received them.
In June 45 the 7th armoured had 28 in hand.
The Canadian 4th armoured brigade received one for trials in May ´45. The Soviets received 2.
Some help anyway ... the chaffee is not a tank Im too familiar with, or have much info on.
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2009 - 04:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Matt. According to the Osprey New Vanguard book, Britain ordered 842 but received only 203 in ´44 and 99 in ´45. They were deployed in small numbers in April ´45 replacing stuart light tanks in the last few weeks of the war. The reconnaissance squadrons of the 5th Inniskilling Dragoon Guards the 8th Hussars (7th armoured division) are the only two groups mentioned who received them.
In June 45 the 7th armoured had 28 in hand.
The Canadian 4th armoured brigade received one for trials in May ´45. The Soviets received 2.
Some help anyway ... the chaffee is not a tank Im too familiar with, or have much info on.

Hey Matt,
Frank's info, according to Steven Zaloga's book from Osprey, is almost spot on with the Hunnicutt book.
Of the 4731 Chaffees built during WWII, 291 were allocated for Lend Lease, 289 were delivered to the British by September 1945 as were 2 to the Soviet Union.
According to reports from the Canadian 4th Armoured Brigade, it was "impossible to speak too highly of it's design and performance" and Canada purchased a number of M-24's post war for training purposes.
Cheers

jjumbo
GREENJACKET
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 03:31 AM UTC
Thanks very much lads.
It's another "to do" project!!!
All the best
Matt E