_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
T-55 KTD-2 laser system?
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 933 posts
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2009 - 11:02 PM UTC
Hi I'm looking for some good reference pictures of the Soviet KTD Series Laser finders that were fitted onto T-55M and T-55AM tanks as I'd like to scratch build one to add to my T-55A kit.

I've found a few images but they have been small and not very detailed.

I managed to find a great image of the Drozd system that shows the layout and components but not so much for the KTD systems.

I know the rough shape but it would be great to see the layout of cables etc to and from the main box.

Managed to find loads of images for the Czech Klavido system but the Soviet versions seem harder to find?

Thanks all!
Luty
Visit this Community
Russia
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 299 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 01:34 AM UTC
Hi!
You can just buy good quality CMK kit
http://www.cmkkits.com/en/detail-sets-accessories/t-55-a-modernized-version-soviet-finish-and-iraq/
http://www.cmkkits.com/en/detail-sets-accessories/t-55-a-modernized-version-soviet-finish-and-iraq/?cmd=show&imageID=8295

Hope this helps.
ArmorBuilder
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 05:03 AM UTC
http://www.thetankmaster.com/ENGLISH/AFV/T-55AM_3.asp http://www.thetankmaster.com/ENGLISH/AFV/T55AM2_1.asp http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-55#T-55A
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 06:21 AM UTC
Jon,
There are several producers of the KTD 1 and 2 out there. CMK (with the 10DT2 barrel is simply awful - the mantlet is too small, the barrels too small, the KTD is too small. AEF designs (quick - Duck!) is actually pretty nice (after you fill the bubbles!) and the right size. Modelpoint is also pretty nice - but good luck finding one....... There is also the ex Russian company Navigator that made one with their T62 BDD set (pretty nice really).

As you have noted their are alot of differences in the KTD - some were mounted within the mantlet cover, some weren't. It looks like MOST KTD-1 LRF were mounted on posts that were mounted on top of the mantlet with the power cord out the back. Their are also many manufacturers of the system which confuse me even more. Some of the "Lens" covers opened from the side, some from the bottom, or top......... As you stated the Klavido system is Czech and not used by the Russians (although there IS 1 at Kubinka!) I haven't been able to find that much in trhe way of ACTUAL dimensions on the net though and I only have straight T54/55s in my neck of the woods (SW VA or NC). I'll be curious as to what you'll find out on these systems......
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 11:15 PM UTC
Thanks guys!

Fred - fantastic photos the T-55AM ones are especially helpful.

Thanks for the suggestion Taras, I've seen the CMK kit and like Chris says I've also read some bad things about it. The complaints that reviewers had with the Klavido resin upgrade and barrel seem the same as the issues Chris raised with this KTD upgrade too. It's odd some CMK kits go together really well and some seem really bad. I even found that my T-55 engine kit from CMK had numerous build issues where parts just don't fit or line up at all correctly. It's strange for something that has had so much work and research that they didn't spot such fundamental things... surely they dry fit the masters before mass production and shipping?

Chris, great feedback and tips. I totally agree that the CMK barrels are best avoided. In the end I have decided to use a modelpoint barrel (found one on Ebay) then I will just scratch build the actual laser system out of plasticard.

I have a few decent reference images and will try to guess the dimensions and size as best as possible from these. I'm going to ask my fiancee to search on some Russian language websites as well for some reference info.

If I find anything I will let you guys know. I was able to find some great info on the Drodz system, photos and diagrams. Hopefully my research will show something for KTD systems too!
Luty
Visit this Community
Russia
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 11:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

CMK (with the 10DT2 barrel is simply awful - the mantlet is too small, the barrels too small, the KTD is too small. AEF designs (quick - Duck!) is actually pretty nice (after you fill the bubbles!) and the right size. Modelpoint is also pretty nice - but good luck finding one.......

Do you have comparsion photos, or know original size of hull KDT-2 receiver-transmitter?
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 - 11:29 PM UTC
Found a great Russian site that covers the T55AMV in depth.

There are fantastic technical diagrams and closeup photos of the KTD system

http://btvt.narod.ru/5/t55am_amv/t55am_amv.htm

Luty
Visit this Community
Russia
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 12:53 AM UTC
Modelpoint ones in stock in US
http://www.tankworkshop.com/Shop/agora.cgi?cartlink=index.html&cart_id=19.21469?
chefchris
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 06:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

CMK (with the 10DT2 barrel is simply awful - the mantlet is too small, the barrels too small, the KTD is too small. AEF designs (quick - Duck!) is actually pretty nice (after you fill the bubbles!) and the right size. Modelpoint is also pretty nice - but good luck finding one.......

Do you have comparsion photos, or know original size of hull KDT-2 receiver-transmitter?

As I stated Im trying to fing actual measurements but I have been going by photos of the set up. The picture of the T55MV is of the later KTD2 system - the KTD 1 is slightly smaller and has an "arm" in front that mount s the lens cover and opener actuator. (?)
Removed by original poster on 08/12/09 - 20:37:40 (GMT).
Luty
Visit this Community
Russia
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 09:45 AM UTC
All trancreceivers for rangefinders (KDT-1/2/3) - one family. And the size of these devices is identical. mm 430х171х175
http://www.ua.all-biz.info/zoom_item.php?oid=298523&what=photo&market_start_number=0
trancreceiver
http://www.ua.all-biz.info/zoom_item.php?oid=289533&what=photo&market_start_number=0
full kit
Differs only forms of external armored boxes and the way of opening lense hatches.

I think CMK Soviet rangefinder kit may be different/better like Czech one. Exept barrel.
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 10:25 PM UTC
Thanks for sharing Taras!

Great images! The dimension's are very helpful!
chefchris
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 03:09 AM UTC
[quote]All trancreceivers for rangefinders (KDT-1/2/3) - one family. And the size of these devices is identical. mm 430х171х175
Differs only forms of external armored boxes and the way of opening lense hatches.

Yes the LRF uint itself it ther same size - but as youve pointed out its the housing that different so theres no way there all the same size. And I do agree that the Czech LRF systems may be better than the Russian ones.

Chris
oldpainless
Visit this Community
Arequipa, Peru
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 11:28 AM UTC
Taras, Jon...

Thanks for sharing those pictures, will be very useful for the T-55m porject I'm building.

Best Regards
clay_cliff
Visit this Community
Lima, Peru
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 05:05 PM UTC
Those are very useful pics. I'll save them. Thanks a lot. Best regards.

Oye Erick, es bueno verte por aquí, soy Clay_cliff del foro de Modelismo Latinoamericano... Hace tiempo que no nos muestras tu T-55M, esperando esos avances. Un saludo.

José.
oldpainless
Visit this Community
Arequipa, Peru
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 - 11:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oye Erick, es bueno verte por aquí, soy Clay_cliff del foro de Modelismo Latinoamericano... Hace tiempo que no nos muestras tu T-55M, esperando esos avances.

Hola Jose, siempre chequeo este foro !!

I was kind of bussy building some gundam stuff, hope to resume my T-55 in the next weeks. Certainly this thread was very helpful!!

Regards
Luty
Visit this Community
Russia
Posted: Sunday, August 23, 2009 - 09:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The picture of the T55MV is of the later KTD2 system - the KTD 1 is slightly smaller and has an "arm" in front that mount s the lens cover and opener actuator.

As I already confirmed earlier armored boxes for KDT-1 & KDT-2 are identical. You may see it at this drawings.

KDT-1

KDT-2
But...all this variants are useful for T-54/55 family only.
For T-62 they are different.

Hope this helps.
 _GOTOTOP