Cobblestone
LegionGunner
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 05:34 PM UTC
Hello,

I am new to this forum and see that there is TONS of information. I have a question about what is the best way to model cobblestone on 1/35th scale WWII Europe diorama? I see there isn't a search option to search the threads, (to be added in future version), but is there an area that has a step-by-step instruction of this and build techniques in general for buildings, rubble, etc? Any direction is greatly appreciated.

Also, one last question. How do upload pictures? Every place I hit "add photos" it brings me to a FAQ page.

Thanks!
~Chad
Shadowfax
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 06:18 PM UTC
There is always a way to search any web site, weather they like it or not... HEHE

Try this Google Search: site:www.armorama.com cobblestone

I have heard of using dried split peas, but it seems rather tedious. You would have to place each stone.

Hope this helps.. a little,
Mark Lopiccola
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 12:53 AM UTC
The search function is in the top right corner of the page.

There are cobblestone sections available from many dio manufacturers. My Favourite is TM available from Jadar Hobby Shop online.

If you want to scratchbuild a cobblestone section this is my prefferred method

Cobblestone roadway. Roll out a sheet of plasticene to about 1/2- 3/4 cm thick cut it to the shape of your road way. Turn the plasticene sheet over because you're making a reverse mould. Now use a cobblestone shaped object to impress whatever cobblestone pattern you want. I use different sized paintbrush handles or brick shapes carved from sprue. When you've finished making your pattern build a retaining wall around it. You now have a mould of the cobblestone road. Mix up some plaster of Paris adding a suitable cobblestone coloured water based paint. Pour the plaster mix into the mould and shake it gently to make any air bubbles rise out. When it dries you can peel off the plasticene and there you have your cobblestone roadway. If you're careful you can reuse the mould a few times. The method is adapted from the book "Roy Porter's Model Buildings Masterclass" which is well worth getting.

For more Dio building info info go to the features section
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=listarticles&secid=9

Adding photos is explained in this thread by CMOT-Darren Baker

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/120940&page=1
tornado64
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 203 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 07:30 AM UTC
some also use lentils to great effect !! for the small syle european cobblestones ..
tigerproductions
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 238 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 - 10:52 AM UTC
Or you can buy resin cobblestone sheets that you can glue together from http://www.tigerdio.com

Cheers,

Jose
LegionGunner
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 02:00 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply guys. I think to start I'm going to go with a pre-formed street. I'm dusting off an old verlinden vignette that I never started, so I will try my hand at that.

Any suggestions on painting? I have started with the 4 color method with Vallejo paints, using different types of gray and biege, but it doesn't seem very natural. What do you guys think?
 _GOTOTOP