_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
can you seal pigments with flat clear?
bulldawg380
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
Armorama: 338 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 01:02 PM UTC
pigments are reallatively new to me and i dont like the fact that the pigments can be rub off by the slightest touch of the fingers can someone please let me know what i can do cause i dont like expirmenting on finished models that have lots of time invested thanks
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 01:04 PM UTC
Yes, but you have to be very careful with them. You have to use very low pressure or you will blow and wash the pigments off.
mcourter
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 01:36 PM UTC
Ronnie,
I've had great success using Testor's dullcote lacquer bought at the local hobby shop. I tried Pollyscale Clear flat (also made by Testor's I think) and it tended to "frost" more easily if you put too much on (then you likely will have to repaint that area). With the dullcote lacquer, a single pass shot through the airbrush seals the pigments nicely. However, it tends to darken the pigment a little and you lose a little of the effect, so once you hit it with the airbrush, you may decide to repeat the process.
Have fun!
Mike
bulldawg380
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
Armorama: 338 posts
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 - 05:28 AM UTC
thanks i grew up and lived in macon GA before moving to las vegas
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2009 - 07:58 PM UTC
I would experiment on an old model first as you'll lose most of the effects of the pigments with that flat coat.

Cheers,

Christophe
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 02:36 AM UTC
My experience with clearing pigments is that it pretty much does wash out the effects. When I finish a model I like to use dry pigments and on one model I did clear afterwards and it totally washed the pigments away.

cheers
Metal_blast
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 10:13 AM UTC
Hey,

You got me thinking; so I just tried it. I used Vallojo matte varnish... you have to thin it considerably before you spray as it comes out in clumps I sprayed a thin coat and it didn't seem to affect the pigmented area. Just make sure you thin whatever matte coat you're using and spray only a thin coat. By the way, I used Mig pigments if you're wondering.
Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 580 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 04:06 PM UTC
I have read various modelers mention that they apply pigment dissolved in a liquid medium. The liquid evaporates, leaving the pigment in place. I presume the medium "fixes" the pigment to some extent. I have never done it that way, but one of these days I will experiment with the technique.

Has anyone ever tried applying pigment in a super diluted mixture of Future? My thought was that the Future would bind the pigment, but if thinned enough, still leave a very matte finish. Perhaps a mixture of thinned Future, Tamiya Flat, and pigment would work better? In many respects, this would be equivalent to making mud using acrylic medium and pigment, but in a much more subdued form.

-Doug
 _GOTOTOP