Hosted by Darren Baker
Advice on making an RTV rubber Mould
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 05:39 AM UTC
I'm planning to make an RTV Rubber mould of my own plaster wall section. Do I need to coat the plaster wall with a release agent or seal it in any way before applying the RTV
c_benshoof
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 05:51 AM UTC
No need with RTV rubber, it wont stick to most surfaces besides its self. If you are doing a two part mold then you will need the release agent on the RTV befor you pour the second half or you will never get the 2 parts seperated!

One thing that I do is to prime the plaster with a couple light coats of a good primer, then make the mold. This helps to get the master out of the mold clean.

Hope this helps!
silentsteel
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Armorama: 143 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 05:54 AM UTC
Pat,

I believe you need to seal it before pouring the mold, since you are making a mold of a plaster wall the plaster might soak in the RTV and the mold might get ruined.

But I could be wrong. Whether be safe than sorry.

Mike
dbudd
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 229 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 07:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No need with RTV rubber, it wont stick to most surfaces besides its self. If you are doing a two part mold then you will need the release agent on the RTV befor you pour the second half or you will never get the 2 parts seperated!

One thing that I do is to prime the plaster with a couple light coats of a good primer, then make the mold. This helps to get the master out of the mold clean.

Hope this helps!

I have had it stick before and would seal the plaster first, normally I use tamiya gloss thinned and air brushed on. This gives a smooth surface so the RTV is less likely to stick. Then coat it with the release agent. Because all it takes is one little spot to stick and ruins the mold. I've used the release agent Micro Mark sells with good results.

The links below provide pictures and descriptions of some things I've done with RTV latex.

http://www.themodelarmory.com/statue_article/StatueArticle/StatueArticle/album/StatueArticle.htm

http://www.themodelarmory.com/statues/statues/album/statues.htm
c_benshoof
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 08:13 AM UTC
It might have alot to do with the brand of RTV as well. I use Smooth On products and have never had problems with it sticking. But then again better to be safe....
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 08:23 AM UTC
Thanks guys. I'll go with a primer.
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 472 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 08:44 AM UTC
Although it might come on a bit thin on plaster, I never tried it on plaster myself, but I have had good experience coating with Future/Johnsons Polish.

Cheers
downtowndeco
Visit this Community
Montana, United States
KitMaker: 306 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 05:14 PM UTC
I always prime my plaster masters with 3 or 4 light coats of Krylon primer, any color. In fact, in a pinch, almost any spray paint will do.

I use Dow Corning 3110 silicon rubber.

Randy Pepprock
www.dioramasplus.com
 _GOTOTOP