_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M1IP Build Log
mike0000
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 - 10:27 AM UTC
Well, here I go. I've been away from model building for over 15 years, and I decided that if I'm going to start, I might as well jump in with both feet. I've been following several build logs here and I must say I am very impressed. (and a bit intimidated!)

Well, my plan is to kit-bash a circa 1991 M1IP Abrams as deployed to the Republic of Korea. I was there at the time as a wet-behind-the-ears butter bar assigned to the 1st Brigade staff. Our brigade commander at the time had 'acquired' for himself an Abrams to serve as his command vehicle when he went forward with the tac (he also had a M113).

For this project, I have Dragon Panther II (for the hull), a Trumpeter M1A1/A2 5 in 1 (for the turret), a Tamiya M1 (for the main gun and references), Armour Track Models T-156 workable tracks, and several other minor AM parts.

I plan to paint in the NATO/CARC woodland scheme (as the division had received the tanks in 1990 with the new paint scheme), and make my own vehicle markings using clear decal sets.

So far I have built the hull basically OOB:

Now ready to move on to the turret. I am using the Trumpeter turret as base, but modeling the blow-off panels from the Tamiya.

Here's my plan:

Am I forgetting anything?
warlock109
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 163 posts
Armorama: 160 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 02:48 PM UTC
What research material do you have. I use Osprey's New Vanguard M1 Abrams Main Battle Tank 1982-92, Osprey Vanguard #41 The M1 Abrams Battle Tank and Squadron's M1 Abrams in action in addition to the internet. The reason I ask, I believe the blast panels on the old Tamiya kit are the wrong shape. Steven Zaloga did a build whenthe Tamiya M1 first came out. The two outer panels should not be tapered. On the M1IP I built, I made mine out of .020 styrene.

Jerry
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 04:55 PM UTC
Check out the KCAMPS site for measurements and other good photos. It's where all the cool kids go to
And yes, I really should get some of my photos over there...once school starts up here I hope to have some more spare time!
M1IP blast panels

Jim
mike0000
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 - 12:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Check out the KCAMPS site for measurements and other good photos. It's where all the cool kids go to
And yes, I really should get some of my photos over there...once school starts up here I hope to have some more spare time!
M1IP blast panels

Jim

Jim - thank's so much for that site - - plenty of great photos for reference.

Jerry - you are correct, the Tamiya panels aren't quite right...good thing I didn't already glue them on!
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 - 02:06 AM UTC
Michael,
Don't forget that the front of the turret is not as thick on a IP. I've slept on those blow out panels many times and never looked at their shape! Good call on that one.
Dan-retired CDAT
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 - 05:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

M1IP blast panels

Jim

Jerry - you are correct, the Tamiya panels aren't quite right...good thing I didn't already glue them on!

I also have the blow off panel measurments off of a M1 that had the IP mods applied to it. The outer ones are tapered but only like an inch or so... I can send them if needed or to compare to the "White 4" & TSJ products found at the KC AMPS boy's site...

John
mike0000
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 - 09:56 AM UTC
Okay, so this is where I'm at.

First I removed the raised circular area for the CITS and the blast panels:

Then I used sheet styrene to fill the gaps:

And then used putty to smooth everything out and then gave it a coat of primer to check my work:

So far, so good I think...but now I've got to recreate the weld lines and create the blast panels.
mike0000
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 - 09:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

M1IP blast panels

Jim

I also have the blow off panel measurments off of a M1 that had the IP mods applied to it. The outer ones are tapered but only like an inch or so... I can send them if needed or to compare to the "White 4" & TSJ products found at the KC AMPS boy's site...

John

From the reference photos, it looks like (looking at them from the turret rear), panel one is 12" at the top and 13" and the bottom, panel two is 27" at the top and 25" on the bottom, and panel three is also 12" at top and 13" at bottom. There seems to be about 5" between panels.

What I don't have is a good length of the panels. From the Tamiya turret, I estimate 36"
mike0000
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 - 12:33 PM UTC
I cut the panels out of .040" sheet styrene, added bolts made from styrene rod and affixed them to the hull using the reference photos at the KC AMPS website.

I also had to create a new top to the box on the turret rear and add the small plate with 6 bolts because in my sanding enthusiasm removed those details from the hull.

For the weld seam on the turret roof front, I used some Super Glue HandiTak rolled thin and then used liquid CA to fix in place and create a hard surface. I think its too big in scale...haven't decided if I am going to try to cut down or remove and re-do.

mike0000
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 - 02:06 PM UTC
and here's the turret with a coat of primer...
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 - 02:16 PM UTC
Great start! The scratch built panels look good.

cheers
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 01:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

From the reference photos, it looks like (looking at them from the turret rear), panel one is 12" at the top and 13" and the bottom, panel two is 27" at the top and 25" on the bottom, and panel three is also 12" at top and 13" at bottom. There seems to be about 5" between panels.

What I don't have is a good length of the panels. From the Tamiya turret, I estimate 36"

Actually, the lengths are 39 inches. The left outside outside panel is 12 1/2 inches wide at the top (end closest to the rear of the turret) and 11 3/4 inches at the lower end. The center panel is 24 5/8 inches wide at the top and 26 1/2 inches atthe bottom. The right panel is 12 5/8 inches wide at the top and 11 1/2 inches at the bottom. I would concur about the five inches between the panels but need to measure that once I climb on a M1 again, either at Ft Hood or Austin TX in Ocotober.

Mike,
The initial build is looking nice. You may want to check the two plates that make up the front of the turret against another M1A1 kit as I know that they were off back in the 90's when the kit was released. I am not sure if Trumpeter has reworked the molds when they released the 5 in 1 kit.

John
mike0000
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 02:02 PM UTC
Well, here's where I'm at so far. I spent most of the day dealing with the tool boxes and bustle rack on the sides. The M1IP has a nice combination of M1 and M1A1 racks on the sides; the Tamiya M1 parts are in tan and the Trumpeter M1A1 in grey.

I've also got the turret top mated to the bottom (note for those, like me who have been away from building for awhile - do the big, structural pieces first before you start adding on the fine details).

As you can see below the turret, I've got the Tamiya mantlet cleared out to accept the Barrel Depot M68...now I just have to create my own thermal sleeve, barrel collimator, and get it so that it stays balanced within the model. Oh what fun...anyone used this barrel for this kind of build before?

majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 03:23 PM UTC
Mike,

It looks like you have the later style "doghouse" primary sight box, instead of the earlier style. On the KCAPMS Site, they have the below photo for the M1IP:

This is also corroberated in Squadron's "M1 Abrams in Action" on page 29.
Just thought you would want to know, since it sounded like you were trying to be accurate with your build.
warlock109
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 05:27 PM UTC
I used the same method to make an M1IP, but don't forget that the Trumpeter turrets have a problem with the fromt left corner. It needs to be brought down about 3mm at the corner. Here is what mine looks like after the fix.

Jerry

mike0000
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 01:17 AM UTC
Jeff & Jerry...you are the bearer of bad news....but thanks, I do appreciate it.

Thankfully the doghouse wasn't yet glued - so now I just have to see if I can make the Tamiya one work. As far the turret - I see that now; the question is how best to fit it? Plasticard, miliput?

Jerry, also - your M68 cannon looks great - how did you do yours?
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 02:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mike,

It looks like you have the later style "doghouse" primary sight box, instead of the earlier style. On the KCAPMS Site, they have the below photo for the M1IP:

This is also corroberated in Squadron's "M1 Abrams in Action" on page 29.
Just thought you would want to know, since it sounded like you were trying to be accurate with your build.

Jeff,
this has been batted around before. Factory IPs had a mix of M1 & M1A1 features. The Gunner's Primary Sight covers were one of those features. Early IPs had the M1 style GPS cover, while the later ones (per Hunnicutt, 894 IPs were made) had M1A1 GPS covers. Modified M1A1 mantlets were used to mount/protect the 105mm gun. As for the pics at KC AMPS, that vehicle is actually a M1 that has a bustle rack, which was a mod added in the late 80's to all M1s that were being cascaded to units in the US, after the M1s were replaced by M1A1s...

Also, I would not call the S/S M1 book a definative source as there are numerous tanks mislabled within the pages. However, the pics of the NTC tanks are good and show IPs sporting later M1A1 style GPS covers as well as the adapted M1A1 mantlets with the 105mm guns.

John
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 04:11 AM UTC
John,

Thank you. I knew I shouldn't have deleted the senetence "But I could be wrong on this..."!

Actually, it really depends on what was on Mike's M1 in Korea...

There has been just WAY too many changes and mods to the M1s to remember them all. Unless you worked at Lima or the Project Manager Abrams Tank Systems or a 30 year tanker!
mike0000
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 07:01 AM UTC
...and I don't remember, and I was not very often with Iron Six at the Tac, I was mostly at the Main. Well, I think I am going to go with the newer style, as that one can be made in the open config.

Thanks guys. Please keep the comments and corrections coming. More on the barrel later today.
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 02:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

John,

Thank you. I knew I shouldn't have deleted the senetence "But I could be wrong on this..."!

Actually, it really depends on what was on Mike's M1 in Korea...

There has been just WAY too many changes and mods to the M1s to remember them all. Unless you worked at Lima or the Project Manager Abrams Tank Systems or a 30 year tanker!

Jeff,
Actually I was a tank rider for 21 year, 4 months, but who was counting.

I have tried to stay up with the changes and learn more every day from others out there... Vodnik and Brian Lockwood both showed me details on IDing the M1IP series of vehicles.

John
warlock109
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 03:12 PM UTC
Michael, as far as I know, all Trumpeter turrets have this problem. I have several kits in my stash. The turret is an easy fix. I used plastic strips built up for the armor plate, then built up the under side if the turret with epoxy putty. The gun I used is a motified Verlinden resin gun with the front half replaced with aluminum tube. I started with 3/16, then added one that fit inside. This made up the gun. Then I added the next size that fitted over the 3/16 , this made the thermal wrap. One more thing, the M68 gun will look shorter on an M1IP. The front armor is thicker, so the gun mounts sit back in about 7mm more than the Tamiya M1.

Jerry
 _GOTOTOP