_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Aircraft Modeler Making the Leap Needs Advice
melsharkskin
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2009 - 01:46 PM UTC
Gentlemen:
I am a lifelong modeler of aircraft, and that rare species who can rightly call himself a "modeling journalist," having edited and written for the major aircraft modeling magazines. I mention this only to show that I am not a novice BUT...
I have built everything that can be modeled at some time in my life, and every so often detour into ship's cannons, motorcycles and automobiles. But I have not once in my life built an AVF of any kind except the ancient Tamiya 1/35 Mk. 42 I did only to experiment with fading effects with OD.
So I have chosen for my debut project the old Italeri 1/35 BM-13N Katyusha kit, which uses a ZIS truck, whose model, or year of make I do not know. It is, I'm almost certain, a post-war truck.
What I am asking for, short of a complete primer on AFV building, is how best to attack this thing. I am using the very nice and elaborate Eduard frets for this kit, which replace the launch rails, rocket fins, and lots of things on the truck itself. PE is not problem for me. The only reference I have, however, is the Kagero Topshots book, which has plenty of detail shots, but most of the photos are of a different carrier truck.
I have no idea how well the Soviets maintained these things in the field, as far as cosmetics go. Were they dented up and dirty? Or were they kept in neat condition? How heavily would it be weathered? And what is this grey-green color? Is there an aviation equivalent? It looks, according to the book photos, like their cockpit color for WW II aircraft such as the Il-2 Sturmovik.
So, if any of you would be so kind as to help me avoid stepping into some minefields, I would greatly appreciate it. I am interested in soft-skinned vehicles right now, but if I get through this, I know I'll move on to armor. I'm just getting burned out building aircraft on deadlines. I need a jolt to get me interested in my hobby again, and this may just be what the doctor ordered.
Many thanks,
TOM

17thVa
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2009 - 03:03 PM UTC
Welcome to the dark side! Right here in the armorama site there is a build log for the same vehicle--hope this helps--for more advice check out some of the other online builds to see how others handle their subjects--Pat Jones https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/139009&page=1
melsharkskin
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2009 - 05:14 PM UTC
Now THAT...well, I can't even aspire to that level of modeling AFVs right now. That build was ambitious and the builder fulfilled the ambition. I'll be happy if the thng is merely reasonably accurate and doesn't embarrass me.

I immediately bookmarked it and it will make a fine reference. Thanks a lot for taking the time to help a newbie.
TOM
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 02:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now THAT...well, I can't even aspire to that level of modeling AFVs right now. That build was ambitious and the builder fulfilled the ambition. I'll be happy if the thng is merely reasonably accurate and doesn't embarrass me.

Ive not seen that build before, but you could make this variant easier. ICM have released a Studebaker kit, and you could add the Katyusha parts on that instead. Its another good kit, but the ICM wheels are a disaster. I suppose you could use the Italeri wheels or aftermarket.
 _GOTOTOP