_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Tiger I in Normandy
Viking
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 10:51 PM UTC
Hi!
This time the Tiger I again. I depict a repair-scene that might have looked like this, when a tank got a hit into the drive sprocket. The crew tries to repair and load the Tiger by the help of a field maintenance-team, that came along with a "Schwimmwagen". What do you think of this diorama?

More of this stuff at:
http://www.panzermodellbau.com
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 11:11 PM UTC
George,
Another amazing piece of work!!! I love all the color in the composition. :-) :-) :-)

I can't quite tell from the photo. Is one of the sprockets broken from the main drive wheel? How would they fix that (short of replacing the whole thing)?

Jim
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 - 11:39 PM UTC
Sprockets could need replacement in several ways, a tooth can break off (rare), the teeth can wear out too much (common), or the sprocket can shear off. Shearing is caused when the track starts to slip off the sprocket and the torque causes the retaining bolts to break. Big pain in the butt to replace since the broken off bolts have to be tapped out of the holes.

Teeth wear is when the gap along the edge of the sprocket teeth start to wear away, The teeth have little wear marks to indicate how much wear is left in the teeth (much like a tire tread wear indicator). Nice thing about sprockets is that you can change the left one with the right one and then the wear starts on the other side of the teeth.

That mechanic is a stud if he can loosen up those sprocket bolts with one hand usually takes 2 guys standing on a cheater pipe. Very good looking dio, I really like the welding equipment.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2002 - 12:21 AM UTC
Some good looking work there!
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2002 - 03:36 AM UTC
Very nice dio !
It's very efficient and tells its story.

penpen
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2002 - 07:46 PM UTC
Good job their. Sabot maybe he is using the ole hot wrench on them bolts. The guy with his hand on his hip is he telling the guy by the wall to hit the bricks and get his butt up their asap and stop shaming
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2002 - 09:12 PM UTC
They're just lucky the guy in the black jacket ain't me...I'd have their collective butts for using a welding torch while refueling 10' away...and to secure those loose rounds on the turret top
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2002 - 06:04 PM UTC
Good job.

Only a small comment - oxigen and acetylene bottles are allways used in vertical or very near vertical position and never in horizontal position, so that liquefied gas don't goes to the torch and an explosion occurs.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2002 - 11:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good job.

Only a small comment - oxigen and acetylene bottles are allways used in vertical or very near vertical position and never in horizontal position, so that liquefied gas don't goes to the torch and an explosion occurs.

Nice catch José!

Jim
demodelbouwer
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 792 posts
Armorama: 314 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 04, 2002 - 11:37 PM UTC
Viking,
The dio itselfs is very nice but i have a few remarks,
At first it is a pitty that your uniforms have a glossy look ( what kinda paint did you use ? )
second the tracks are to rusty, when the tank is driving oober brick roads there must be a look of bare metal on the tracks esspacially on the parts where the tracks hit the road this must also be the case on the, i don't know the exact word, the first upper wheel where the mecanic is working on. the outside of the spikes are to " new "
Third the arm , the left arm, of the mecanic with the cloth around its face is misssing a
piece It is to flat at the underside.
And of course the oxygene bottles.
But in the overall it is a very nice diorama.
Don't see this remarks as i try to crack your diorama but it are some points that will cost you points if you ever put this diorama into a contest.
never the less
VERY NICE !!

Eric
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2002 - 12:35 AM UTC
Eric,
I think that those kind of remarks/feedback/constructive critisism are great. I know it might sting a bit but thats the kind I would want. It is the best way to be able to correct something, and learn some new ideas from fellow modelers.
I also know different persons react to different things, and more then likely this is a subject that some people can take better then others. I just hope no one take these kind of posts the wrong way as it is a great way of advancing in your modeling abilities and a way to open new horizons.
demodelbouwer
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 792 posts
Armorama: 314 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2002 - 12:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Eric,
I think that those kind of remarks/feedback/constructive critisism are great. I know it might sting a bit but thats the kind I would want. It is the best way to be able to correct something, and learn some new ideas from fellow modelers.
I also know different persons react to different things, and more then likely this is a subject that some people can take better then others. I just hope no one take these kind of posts the wrong way as it is a great way of advancing in your modeling abilities and a way to open new horizons

Viking,
it is just like you say.
I will never give negative critisism on a diorama. Because i know that it takes a long time to create the perfect diorama.
Even me make mistakes and forget things. Especcially when you make dio's with lot's of different items.
But never the less this kind of critisism work for everybody who makes diorama's and want to achieve the " Master " rank

Eric
Viking
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2002 - 10:48 PM UTC
Hi friends!
Thanks for your remarks and critics! You are right: they all may help to improve ones work, so keep on doing so! If one cannot stand criticism, he must not publish his work.
To "demodelbouwer":
the color of the clothings are more glossy in the pictures than in reality. it is due to the flash. the tracks: you´r right, i should have done a lot more of drybrushing.
To "Sabbot (nice name!):
O.k. the Germans were very lazy by neglecting those principle security measures, but weren´t they often in a hurry at those times?
Tiger1
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2002 - 01:32 AM UTC
Excellent work Viking. Very impressive. I especially like your figure painting. Nice use of color. :-) :-)
 _GOTOTOP